what is the proper etiquette for garage sales..dogs acceptable or not?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rcentner, May 7, 2011.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I often have this dilemma. I love my dog, I take her everywhere I possibly can. She is older, doesn't bark, doesn't bite but will sniff everything 2 million times over (including people). It seems a shame to walk around a neighborhood sale, on a nice day, without my dog. I don't let her go into peoples garages (so neither can I) but I wonder if people are mad that I have my dog on thier property. She has not pooped in anyones yard ever and if she did, I would do the right thing and clean it up. She will pee, but what can you do about that? and she won't pee if she's not on a lawn like area.

so.....??

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    If you hold a neighborhood garage sale you have to hope in part for some walk-bys and many of those will have dogs. It depends on how well behaved the dog is.....

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I personally would not have a problem if someone came to my sale with their dog on a leash. Male dogs need to be kept close to their owner on a leash to prevent hiking their leg on something. BUT, you have to think of how many people there are in the world that don't love your dog or any dogs period. They're the ones that will have an issue with it.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    However nice your dog is, I would politely ask you to leave, please come back without the dog. I have 2 dogs, who would be in the house going nuts, because another dog was intruding in their territory.

Not everyone loves dogs, I had a neighbor who was downright terrified of them.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I wouldn't like it. There are many places that are acceptable for a dog to be at, a stranger's garage sale (their HOME) isn't one of them.

ETA: Please always remember that no one else loves your dog as much as you do.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't mind calm dogs. But in a strange place with a strange dog... I would leave the sale immediately. Just not worth the chance of an incident.

Imp

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you want to go to yard sales, leave your dog at home.

If you want to walk the dog, go somewhere else.

8. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm odd man out. I have three dogs, all very well behaved and well trained but they would go crazy of someone brought their dog into my yard. I don't think it's fair or curtious no matter how old or well behaved. I also have a problem when I go to the State Park down the road from me and follow the rules and have all of mine leashed and other people do not. As they approach the owner will yell something to the affect that "he's friendly" and when they get to me my dogs are crazy because they are restrained and in a "pack" and it turns to chaos. Not fair, not curtious. I understand both sides but I would never bring my dog or dogs to someone elses yard without both knowing them and having their permission.

9. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I have 6 furbabies myself, a couple of them are chihuahuas and a few are big dogs.
    So I dont take mine anywhere because my own dogs go nuts if a strange furbaby is on their property.
    Bear my GP will just go completely mad if someone pulls up and has their dog in the bed of the truck, and I ask them to leave and come back without the dog.

10. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

You would be welcome at my yard sale with your well behaved dog. Generally when you approach a yard sale, you can tell who is sunning it. Simply ask them if they mind, before you get too close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by