What is the purpose of V perches ?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by RAREROO, Mar 6, 2011.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I have been looking at pigeon loft designs and I have saw that a lot of them have V perches and I was just curious what the V design is for and why it isnt just a straight pole sticking out ???????

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    v-perch are mostly for feather feet bird like trumpters, so they don't break or soil the feet feathers.

[​IMG]

3. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation In the Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
    The purpose of V-Perches is so the perches can be mounted one above each other on a wall and the droppings not hit the other birds..

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] X 2

5. larrylofts

larrylofts Songster

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    V Perches Are Used For Space Saveing Each Bird Has His Own Perch/ Droppings Do Not Soil Birds Under Them Easy To Clean Some Are Plastic And Removeable. A Round Perch With A Arm Type Stand Out Is Prefered For Muffed Breeds V Perches Are Mounted Againist The Wall Which Breaks Muffs

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Ok Thanks, that makes sense so you can put perches right under each other and they get sheilded from the droppings from the above birds.

Gotcha... Thanks guys.

7. puredelite

puredelite Songster

Clint, On the topic of V- perches, just make sure that they are made long enough where the perch underneath is shielded from the bird pooping above. 1x4's work well for building this type of perch. Also V perches usually reduce fighting as there is room for only one bird on them.

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    V-perches prevent soiling the feathers, of both the bird sitting on it, and the bird sitting below it. They are also easy to make! [​IMG] Great for muffed breeds and fantails, who's tails normally stick out pretty far when resting, and get the most poop on them.

9. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Poo control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: