1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the quietest dual purpose duck breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertskynm, Jan 22, 2011.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Hi everyone...

I am thinking about getting Muscovy ducks, but I like the taste of traditional duck and want to know who I should have join my 'scovies.

But since I want it all, I am hoping for meat as well as eggs.

With neighbors so close by, sound is an issue- what do you think would make the perfect duck?

Thank you,
    DesertSkyNM

2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

cayugas are great ducks which are quiet yet beautiful.. good eggs and i dont like to use them for meat production becuase i fall in love with them! [​IMG] so I think they wil be the perfect duck for u!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] good luck! [​IMG]

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there such a thing as a quiet female duck. I know males are very quiet but females!!??

4. pekinduck<3er

cayuga females [​IMG]

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Yeah I definatly think cayugas and muscovys are the quietest duck breeds out there.

6. pekinduck<3er

yea i love those two breeds there quiet and pretty well the scovie in its own way but still pretty

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't know about quiet, but anconas are a great dual-purpose breed, and if you select for the lighter colors, they'll be a LOT easier to pluck than a cayuga. I don't think they're terribly noisy, but I haven't kept them myself, so I don't know.

I have magpies, and they could conceivably be used for meat, but they're a little smaller than an ancona, and they have large patches of dark coloring that might make plucking challenging. Anconas CAN have large patches of dark, but again, you'd select the meat & breeders from your lightest ducks and hopefully usually have less dark to deal with. Magpies are very similar to anconas and in my experience they are not especially noisy.

8. pekinduck<3er

i still say cayugas are good becuase they lay good have beautiful eggs and good meat production and are the pretiest ducks and are great pets i know becuase i own them but magpies are good too and they are QUEIT! ssshhh..........

9. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    My cayugas are not quiet but they also don't make noise all the time any more. They are almost a year old now and are calmer then they were the first few months and then they were so loud I was considering getting rid of them. Thankfully, they calmed down after awhile.

10. pekinduck<3er

actually mine were quiet *all* the time some ducks are different

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by