What is the real truth about eating eggs from a chicken after a round of antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7villager, Mar 19, 2013.

1. 7villager

7villager New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    My Buff Orpington, Little Pearl, age 2 yrs +, was egg bound with an egg about 4 times her normal size. I took her to the vet yesterday and because of the size she would have never passed the egg. Long story short is that he aspirated the egg matter out of her and then collapsed the shell and put her on a round of antibiotics - Baytril - for 5 days. He would not give me the antibiotic unless I told him that she was a pet chicken only because legally one can never eat the eggs from this chicken for the rest of its life. I find that really hard to believe. Oh I believe the legally part but really now, how long can the antibiotic stay in the system? I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this question. I'm looking for a real answer - not a legal answer. I would appreciate any information you might have. Thank you. The active ingredient in Baytril is enrofloxacin, a third-generation quinolone antibiotic. My research says that enrofloxacin has toxic properties in humans. I do not sell the eggs. We only have 4 chickens and we use the eggs for personal consumption. I really would appreciate anything you might know about this matter.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. 7villager

7villager New Egg

Oct 6, 2012
    Oh wow. Thank you so much. Great link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by