What is the required light bulb wattage for winter in regards to quail brooding?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jumbocoturnix, Oct 6, 2016.

1. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    Hello BackYard Chickens Community,

I've been having an issue lately with my Georgia Bobwhite chicks. I'm from California and here the temperature is starting to plunge in the 50s at night. I've been losing some chicks from day to day. I think it is the cold that is killing my chicks. Right now I am using a 73 watt light bulb. What light bulb wattage should I use? Much thanks to you guys.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    At 1 week old temp should be 95 degrees and draft free.Each week after drop 5 degrees for at least 6 weeks.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016
    Thank you

4. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    All I use is a 60 watt white bulb on 24/7. Mine is hanging above the brooder box so I can raise or lower it to keep the right temperature. 95 first week then lower by 5 degrees each week

5. jojackc

jojackc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2016
    I also used a 60w bulb for garage doors. I bought one of those brooding lights and it was almost getting to 200 degree's. Tried a 100w next and it was still over 100 so I switched to the 60w and magic perfect temp. Drafts could be your problem as said also. I keep my babies in a 55gallon drum that I cut the top off of. Ran a 2x4 across the middle then built two doors on both sides of the 2x4 with hardware cloth. Works well for them because they can't fly high enough to hit there heads. If it gets really cold I can move them inside because the 55 gallon drum doesn't take up much room in the house. The smell is controlled by using pine chips as there poop medium. Not going to lie the wife still doesn't like them in the house hehe.

6. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    60w incandescent bulbs can work fine (if your brooder is inside of a controlled environment). But that can be very misleading if left as a blanket statement.

Choosing the correct bulb involves understanding your specific variables:
    Volume of brooder or area to be heated?
    Is it enclosed or open?
    Is it insulated?
    Number of birds to brood?

60w to 500w is the correct answer, depending on YOUR variables. Placing a higher wattage bulb than needed on a dimmer switch will allow you to adjust the temperature without having to adjust the distance the fixture is above the birds.

My indoor brooder is 2ft x 4ft. I use a 75w true infrared bulb on a dimmer at one end that has a partition semi-enclosing the heated end of the brooder. Chicks can walk out under the partition across most of the wall. The non-heated side contains food and water. They can go back and forth and feather out quickly as it can be 50-60 degrees in that room.

At three weeks they go outside with the same bulb at full intensity (at night) in one corner of an 8ft x 8ft aviary and a tarp wall sections a 4ft x 4ft area to keep the wind off of them. They have a 1ft gap that they can come and go for full access of aviary. Amazing that there are some who choose to sleep outside of the "tent" at this stage even in 40 deg weather. At 4 weeks the tarp and lamp come out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  7. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016
    Thank you all! I bought a 60 watt and wala! Works!

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would paint the bulbs red as everyone knows that raises birds,once a trickle of blood is seen they all gang up on the red spot and don't stop pecking.A red light helps to hide any blood and keeps cannibalism to a minimum.It wouldn't hurt to give them a splash of vitamins and electrolytes maybe once a month.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by