What is the safest brooder bulb?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Is there such a thing as a safe brooder bulb? If so, what is it? Since it gets -20 here and I have a d'uccle bantam, I'm putting a heat lamp in the coop. We will safely hang the lamp above or near the roost or above the nest boxes. I don't want the house starting on fire by doing this.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi,

check out the thread about the heat lamps, it may contain info useful. Sorry I don't know how to quote the thread for you to find it . . . it's a new one so it's on the first page of this section. Sorry I couldn't help more.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Buy a good GE brand heat bulb. Look in the different threads here about all the people who have had those cheap "off brand" bulbs exploding, starting fires, just not lasting long. We have a few of the GE bulbs that are over 10 years old, have been through tornados and all kinds of rough treatment and are still going.
    The good bulbs are very high though, but worth every cent they cost. They weigh about twice as much as the new cheap ones too. I think ours, last time we bought any, cost around $26.00?

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you both. Price for a good quality bulb is not an issue, especially when it comes down to preventing a fire. Our coop is built in our garage, which is connected to the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by