1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the safest way to dry off my ducklings after a bath?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by briannajade, Feb 8, 2013.

1. briannajade

briannajade New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    Connecticut USA
    Im getting two pekin ducklings and ive done so much research on everything to know about them. But im curious about bath time. Its winter where im located and they will be living inside until weather is perfect for them. They are two weeks old and ive been giving them baths but when i dry them off with a towel and they shake since there not completely dry.Would it be safe to use a hair dryer at its lowest setting to dry them off completely?

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, I had to give my chicken a bath and used the hair dryer, I think it should be fine but make sure you don't get it too close and burn them. Good luck.

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I just make sure bathrooms warm I dry them with towel the best I can then return them to their warm brooder which should be 70-80f and they'll finish drying a hair dryer would be risky as far as overheating plus after their bath mine like to preen and dry themselves

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ditto duckins. A blow dryer was not needed here - the brooder was set to the Storey's Guide recommended temperatures of 90F the first week, dropping 5 degrees a week. So at two weeks, the brooder was at 80 to 85F.

5. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Missed the fact they were 2 wks Amigas right 80 or 85. That's my runners age that's the temp everyone likes.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Be sure not to use any shampoo that contains a detergent, as it will strip the natural oils they need to keep them dry when swimming from their feathers.

7. briannajade

briannajade New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    Connecticut USA
    Thanks for the help I just felt bad when they shake, I don't use my soaps or shampoos since I didn't know much about it and didn't wanna take chances, these are my first ever ducklings, the box is at 85 degrees right now also

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What do they get to eat?

And by the way, congratulations for being such a caring ducksteward.

9. briannajade

briannajade New Egg

Feb 8, 2013
    Connecticut USA
    Thanks I just wanted to do a good job with my first ducklings.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So can you tell us more? We're all crazy about ducklings. Really. Have you read some of our discussions? [​IMG]

And how much snow do you have? I think I may not be far from you. We have six inches near Seymour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by