1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is the safest way to ship adult chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fallenweeble, Jan 27, 2008.

1. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hey ya'll,
    i have two adult roos that want to go from caifornia to alabama.
    this is a long trip.
    obviously.
    so what might be the best, the safest, the fasted method of getting them there?
    (cost is not so much of a consideration, it doesn't have to be the cheapest)

thanks ya'll!
    a pair of rescued roos and myself thank ya!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think you can only ship them overnight Express through the Post Office using one of those boxes with the filters on the side.

We were posting at the same time, Stacey, LOL. Yep, there is a link related to just this subject stickied at the top of the BST page.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    speckledhen is correct, but you must also contact your post office to make sure that they will ship to the receivers zip code.

Jean

4. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Quote:I would suggest a Ferrari Limo. It's fast, comfortable, & since cost is not a consideration, it's the only way to fly. My Chook Lucky highly reccomends it.

[​IMG]

5. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    North Florida
    I just shipped 2 cockerels (pen mates) to Ca, Ck with your PO first and bring your birds ase late as you can. The shipping box must be approved, I take an apple and quarter it. so they have moisture. The PO said 24 hrs. but it took 36. But they were ok. I hope this helps. JB

6. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    thanks ya'll!

note to lcrt
    my roos are just way to down to earth to agree to the limo.
    but seriously, if i could hire someone crazy enough to do it, i'd probably pay someone to drive these two birds.
    that's just the kind of nut i am!!!! so don't tempt me [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  7. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    bring your birds ase late as you can.

Just to expand on that, call the post office and find out when the truck leaves. In my town its 2:30pm.

When I have to ship birds I wait until 2:00 and then bring them. I also make sure the counter person knows how important it is to the birds health that they get on the 2:30 truck.

The people at my local post office are very understanding in these matters.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by