what is the "season" for buying chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by buttons, Jan 27, 2009.

1. buttons

buttons Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2009
    I want to buy some silkies this year but first I want to buy the materials for the coop like I know I should. But If this might take time. mabey a month or two to gather up the money and another month to make the coop. What hacheries sell silkies chicks in small numbers(like 5 or more) in April?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome aboard. MyPetChicken.com would probably be your best bet. They sell in small numbers like that. Better, would be a local person who raises them.
    Generally, the chick season begins in March and ends around July or August. Some hatcheries sell earlier and some will go later. The off breeds generally will have a shorter selling season.

3. buttons

Jan 21, 2009
    mypetchicken.com only sells feb and two other months

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Post where your located. Someone around here may have some available near you or might be talked into hatching some for you.

Silkies are evil and multiply in coops like tribbles on Star Trekhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribble_(Star_Trek)

My wife usually has a half dozen chicks running around somewhere 12 months out of the year. Were in Alaska and only do local pick ups.

5. buttons

Jan 21, 2009
    I live in Santa Cruz county. Any one from around here who knows where I can get some silkies?

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

hahah you funny AK Bird Brain :)

I wasn't allowed to get chickens...now i am trying to decide how to finish this coop, and what breed to get.

7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Quote:If your not allowed...... get silkies! If anyone asks what they are you can just look them right in the eye and say "exotic flightless parrots" [​IMG] They'll never know the difference.

8. tdgill

Quote:If your not allowed...... get silkies! If anyone asks what they are you can just look them right in the eye and say "exotic flightless parrots" [​IMG] They'll never know the difference.

hahah
    not thinking about the legality. its the bf. but bless his heart he is still talking to me.

i can only have 2 chickens. which means i will be getting three. hahah. so i think i'd like something white, something fat and buff or golden, and something black.

australorp - black
    golden comet or buff orp
    new hampshire red or similar
    white rock

see thats four now!

9. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] You're going to end up with 25! [​IMG]

10. tdgill

and now that i have three (2 red stars and a buff orp) I want 4 more!

EEs
    BCMarans
    Blue Marans
    Ameracuana
    BLRW

see that's FIVE more!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by