What is the secret to taming an adult parakeet?

Can somebody please tell me the secret to taming an adult parakeet so that it doesn't fly away from you?
I would keep its cah close to place where you are frequently and keep its cage open and let it explore when you are around it spend lots of time with him and give him treats you can also target train him will he is inside the cage and he will follow the stick when he is outside but if nothing works you can clip his wings until he trusts you and let his wings grow out I got my lovebird to trust me by clipping his wing and then the bird has to rely on you for transportation and such so he will quickly gain trust but truly the best method is spending lots of time with the bird

Persistence and patience. It takes a lot of time and effort when it comes to taming any bird. If you are fortunate to get a parakeet from a breeder that hand raises their birds or from someone rehoming a trained one, it's a lot easier.

You want the bird to get accumulated to its new home before training. Placethe cage to be somewhere you are often, such as bedrooms, living rooms, studies, etc. (Do NOT put the cage in or near the kitchen. Smoke of any sort will kills birds fast.) For the first week or just aim to be near the bird. Sit next to the cage while you watch T.V or read so he gets used to seeing you. Talk and/or sing to him so he gets used to your voice.

After the bird has settled for a few weeks start interacting with him. Place your hand inside the cage so he he can get used to it. You may even put a little food in your hand (millet is a big hit) so he associates you with something good. Don't ever try and chase the bird around with your hand. Wait for him to come to you. Don't get discouraged if he flies away from you. Continue to be persistent in your efforts (Don't over stimulate the bird. If he looks panicked take a break and try again later). It may take a few weeks, or even months for a new bird to gain your trust, but it eventually happens.

But also keep in mind if you are going to use the method where you clip the birds wing you can't clip it too much because the bird needs to be able to be able to escape in case of danger and I would only clip the bird for the time it takes to tame it because birds deserves to be able to fly and it's much better if you have a flighted bird thats tamed because you don't have to go and carry it around everywhere my lovebird Mango' s favorite thing is tho fly around the house and then fly to me he never goes any where without me because I only clipped him once and I let him regrow his wings also with smaller birds you can't fully clip their wings the will always be able to fly slightly the only reason I would clip a birds wing was taming it which is just a short period of time or that having their wing grown can cause them injury I have a cockatiel that whenever her wings where full grown she would go to the edge of her cage and start flapping her wings causing her to break her feathers and bleed so I had to clip them for her safety but she has started getting better at not breaking her wings but the only problem is that whenever i let her out she never learned how to fly because she was clipped ever she was a baby and I got her like that I tried to teach her to fly but she just crashes and her nose gets red

Back
Top Bottom