What is the sex of these Leghorns??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlver2013, Feb 28, 2014.

1. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatched these guys out of the incubator from eggs I bought. And they're about 3 weeks old. Are they male or female? Both?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    My guess is boy (top) and girl (bottom.) I"m certainly not an expert, but unless you have an exceptionally brave female (which does happen) I have found that stance indicates a lot. Also, the comb is larger on the top picture. Of course, it really is pretty early to tell, but I like to guess. LOL!

3. chickenlver2013

Lol thanks I wasn't sure if it was too early or not and I have also had a pullet grow a comb that red at that age LOL

4. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I've seen that happen too. I've got some older birds that I STILL can't tell on some! LOL! If it crows or lays an egg, I will know for sure. ;)

5. chickenlver2013

When they hatched, I wing sexed them and they looked like boys, but wing sexing isn't always accurate.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's really too early to say for sure. And, leghorn girls can sure fool you sometimes cause they'll grow big ol combs pretty early, so you think they may be roosters. You'll have a better idea around 6-8 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by