What is the single best source of protein?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bfcerny, Jul 1, 2010.

1. bfcerny

bfcerny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Cheap, common, simple. Tuna, catfood, peanuts? What can i supplement my cracked with?

2. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Mine get the leftover canned cat food after the cats eat what they want. I was tired of wasting the canned food. The hens swarm it like piranahs.

3. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Mine LOVE catfood. It's nice to be able to give the leftover bits to someone who will enjoy them rather than having them stink up the trash!

If you want a really cheap protein source for the summer, I started another thread on here about trapping earwigs. If you have a lot of them in your garden that's a great free source of protein [​IMG]

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    eggs are!

So are meal worms, i can hatch out lots of meal worms from a 50pound bag of rice bran for 6 bucks

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:I agree completely! This year I've been giving my chicks a hardboiled egg every day. Not only do they go crazy over it (even more so than mealworms), this year's batch of chicks has feathered out and matured noticeably earlier than my batch last year.

6. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Quote:It may be a good source of protein, but seems a bit strange to me. If you have chickens for the eggs and you need to feed them eggs for protein....

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Meat or fish meal...

Chris

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:It may be a good source of protein, but seems a bit strange to me. If you have chickens for the eggs and you need to feed them eggs for protein....

I have around 100 totally free hens, most lay in the nest areas but there are some that don't , i find nest all the time,they get feed back to chickens and dogs as well as all the eggs that may get dirty or have other defects.

Besides i never sell all the eggs i collect in a week unless the holidays are coming up..

Eggs never go to waist here even if i have excess.

Hope this makes a little more sense.

1 person likes this.
  9. bfcerny

bfcerny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Quote:Can you describe your hatching method?

10. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You want ONE protein ingredient to mix with your cracked corn, is this correct?

What do you intend to use for a source of water soluble and fat soluble vitamins?

What will be your source for Calcium and Phosphorus?

How will you provide Trace Minerals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by