What is the size of an Old English Banty egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dianneS, Oct 11, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have the sweetest little OE hen. She has never laid an egg and is at least two years old. I'm guessing that she is just unable to lay. [​IMG]

The cute little thing found a nest of banty eggs in our hayloft (we had a hen hatch a brood up there once) and she has decided to make it her own! She is so tiny and there are 8 eggs in this nest. They are little eggs, but not small enough to be hers.

She is determined to hatch these eggs, so I'm going to let her try. Its so cute to see her fluff herself up when you get near her! [​IMG] I'm taking her food and water up to the loft so that she doesn't need to leave the nest for too long. She's always gotten picked on by the bigger birds anyway.

I'm just wondering if these eggs could be her own?? If they are, she's squeezing out some big eggs! The nest is small though, and she is able to cover all of the eggs. The only OE eggs I've ever seen were about the size of a quarter!

She just wants to be a mom so bad, I'm going to give her the chance! She's so sweet, she is one of my favorites! [​IMG]

2. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    They just may be hers... we have a very small banty too and her eggs are about 1" to 1 1/2" long.

3. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

The egg in the middle is from our 19 week old Old English Game She layed it this weekend it was her first. The brown egg next to it is from our RSL.

4. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    You know, maybe they are hers after all! I expected them to be much smaller, but that is just what these eggs look like! Same color too.

The daddy is an EE though! I wonder what these babies will look like!??

I do have a young OE roo, maybe in the future I can pen them all together and get pure bred OE chicks, instead of all these cross breeds I keep getting!

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Awww their going to be sooo tiny and cute, I'm going to hatch some this Spring...

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have OEGB/Serama hybrids. Here's an egg from my largest hen who weighs in at about 450 grams:

[​IMG]

The egg on the right is a standard, large egg from the grocery store. It takes about three of our bantam eggs to equal one such large egg.

7. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm really starting to think that those eggs are her own. The nest she made is just the right size for her, too small for the other hens.

This little girl has been wanting a nesting spot all of her own for quite some time now. She joins us in the hayloft when we clean it out, she builds herself a nest and sits in it and talks to us the whole time we're up there!

Its a nice safe, quiet spot for her. We had another hen hatch 10 up there and she didn't have to worry about the other hens pushing her off of her nest or anything. They all hatched about the same time too, it worked out well. I hope things work out for this little girl, she's so sweet!

Those babies will probably get a lot bigger than their mom though! I had another banty hatch her own eggs fertilized by one of my big EE roosters and those kids are twice the size of mom now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by