1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the temperament for OEGB?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tanichca, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I was at a poultry show a few weeks ago, and i saw some little game birds. Like, REALLY LITTLE. What is their temperament, their good points, bad points, and how hardy are they? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We love our little gamers. [​IMG]

Some are no bigger than Pigeons.

We have a couple of feisty roos but when he is only as big as football, feisty is so bad...lol

Most of ours are wonderful. They enjoy being held and petted.

Check out my web link for some pics [​IMG]

3. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I've seen the oegb at the shows with kids handling them, and the birds soaked up that attention like little sponges!

And the best way to train a pup or kitten about how NOT to mess with chickens is to set the pup or kitten down just a little too close to an oegb setting hen. She'll be too little to hurt the pup or kitten, but she'll make sure they never EVER want to get near a chicken again. It's a lifetime memory.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
  5. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Quote:Out of curiousity - what is the reason for the dubbing?

6. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    My little mutt game bird hen cracks me up. To this day (she's about 8 mos old) she follows her surrogate mother hen around. She doesn't peck me when I check under her to see if she's sitting on some eggs, but boy does she fuss (holler and struggle) when I try to pick her up! She's a total ding-a-ling.

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Dubbing is one of the reasons why I decided to raise Dutch instead of OEGB. They are about the same size, but you keep those beautiful combs intact.

Matt

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    It's part of the breed history, as they were once bred for sporting activities no longer considered legal at present.

9. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    You don't have to dub if you're not going to show, and the hens don't have to be dubbed any time.

10. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Interesting, very interesting.....

But how good are they with cold?
    I ask because I saw some that look like little silver phoenixes, and even though i loved my little phoenix's color, it got cold here and i had to get rid of them because they couldn't stand the cold. It gets around freezing here at night, and 60 degrees or so at the hottest part of the day (for Arizona, thats cold!)

Also, how do they do with REAL chickens? I have 3 silkies and an Easter Egger, who might be a problem with the tiny birds. How would a OEGB roo work with with my silkie roo?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by