What is the temprature of a chickens foot?

Elky

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
In the Chicken Run
I am making a poster on something and cant figure out what temperature a chickens legs are? When I looked it up I just got cooking advice! Anyone????

Last edited:
I am making a poster on something and cant figure out what temperature a chickens legs are? When I looked it up I just got cooking advice! Anyone????

I am pretty certain temperature varies with temperature and core temperature of the bird. It does not normally cool to freezing and feels a little warm even when a bird is walking on snow. Otherwise lower ambient temperature mean cooler feet. When a bird is exerting itself or otherwise stress by heat, then more blood is shunted to the feet making them feel warm where the heat can then be "dumped" into whatever the bird is walking on. This is like a dog.

You can purchase a relatively low cost devise to detect surface temperature based on infrared light coming off feet. You also need to better define what a foot is and what parts are being measured.

I use something like shown below to measure where heat is lost from large fish tanks. Might do what you need although repeated measures required to get an average.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Too..._clickID=56bee2d8-78a2-48af-94a8-e31e6cbf0f6b

Data like you are looking for likely does not exist in the literature for chickens. You might find it for wild fowl living under extreme thermal conditions. For giggles I will run to lab tonight and fetch my reader to see if it works. You peaked my interest.

Back
Top Bottom