What is the "water wiggler" that people talk about?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelly G, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I've been reading some old threads about measuring temps inside the incubator. My Brinsea Spot Check thermometer changes moment by moment from 99.4 - 99.5 - 99.6...it kinda' makes me crazy.

I read that the "water wiggler" can help moderate these quick fluctuations that the thermometer is picking up....but I have no idea what a water wiggler is!!!

Do you know what it is? Do you have a picture?

2. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
  3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Ha ha, if you look at the 'People who bought this also bought...' thing, it goes colorful toy, colorful toy, Brinsea highly accurate spot temp thermometer, fun toy, fun toy. [​IMG]

4. Kelly G

OK - thanks!!! I never would have guessed what they were! I ordered one....we'll see if it works!

5. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Im confused how this helps?

6. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Quote:When you place your thermometer probe in the center of it, it mimics having a probe in an egg. Gives you a more accurate idea of what the temp in the bator is.

7. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:When you place your thermometer probe in the center of it, it mimics having a probe in an egg. Gives you a more accurate idea of what the temp in the bator is.

Ok, what is a probe, and do you but the wiggler in the incubator?

8. Kelly G

O.K. Here is the Brinsea Spot Thermometer - reported to be one of the most accurate for measuring temps in the incubator. It reads and reports the temperature in real-time....so it frequently changes from 99.4 to 99.5 back to 99.4 to 99.5 then to 99.6 and back to 99.5 - all of this in the matter of a few seconds. It can be frustrating as you try and stabilize the environment. Putting the probe of the thermometer into the middle of this water toy should minimize the effects of these small changes - giving you an assessment of the average temp - which is what's really important.

Here is a picture of the thermometer - the probe is about 3" long at the end:
    [​IMG]

Does that make sense?

9. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i asked all kinds of folks if they knew what a water wiggler was and everyone thought i was nuts...hehehehe...YAH ! now i know.

10. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:Ok, haha now i get it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by