What is the weirdest thing you have ever fed your chicks?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JennH07, Feb 22, 2011.

1. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    I just fed my chicks a non spicey gumbo, and they loved it!!! Non spicey because the kids wont eat it otherwise, but I was shocked that the chicks liked it so much, it was like they couldn't eat it fast enough. Just wondered what yall feed your chicks that is out of the ordinary???

2. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    The pen extends to right underneath the kitchen window. Whenever I have leftover anything I just open the window and out it goes. As soon as they hear the window opening they come running.

Mine get hamburger helper, spaghetti, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, anything basically.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    maple syrup cotton candy, they LOVE it!

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ummm lets see here,fresh live crayfish from the nearby stream still kickin,also live minnows and leftover chicken!

5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    On Christmas I gave them each a tiny nibble of gingerbread. And they sometimes get to split a leftover piece of bacon. Watch your fingers when feeding them bacon [​IMG]

6. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    In the summer and its really hot I will freeze them stew (lots of veggies and some meat) they will pick at it for hours. Birds actually like peppers or spicy food, I have read that some exotics like to eat hot peppers.

7. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    Wow, I thought spicey things would be bad for them, I have fed mine leftover turkey, I figure eating a cousins not bad but still can't bring myself to feed them chicken. yyyyaaaaaa!!!![​IMG]

8. britt_irvine

britt_irvine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Mine get all the leftovers from the kitchen, they LOVE french fries and chicken tenders. Our turkeys even go crazy for crab cakes too.

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    My tobacco plant!!! [​IMG]

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Nutella

I bought it because my sweet tooth thought it would be good......

I didn't like it at all !!!

But, the chickens sure did [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by