1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the WHITE on the yolks? (PIC'S)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Biddieacres, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    These are some of our first eggs from our 24 week old chickens. Is it normal to have all this white on the yolk? I don't remember seeing this from store bought eggs. Does anyone know what it is?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I think I remember reading that it's the part of the white that attaches to the ends of the shell as the egg is formed (called a chalais (sp) or something like that). Store bought eggs are older than our eggs and the reason you don't see it in a store bought egg is because the white gets thinner and fades as the egg ages.
    Anyone can correct me if I'm remembering this wrong!!!

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Just looks like whites to me. You can in NO way compare anything store bought and home grown.

Home grown meat is often tough and strong to people, no matter the age or ageing the meet gets before freezing or cooking and you cannot peel a fresh hard boiled egg without peeling off half of the white with the shell.

That's just how it is.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Looks like a nice perfectly edible FRESH egg to me.

5. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Oh OK, thanks. [​IMG] Guess I am being overcautious. Analyzing the eggs and still getting used to the fact that we can actually eat eggs from our own chicks. (I know weird) The eggs I gathered this morning from a different chicken did not have the white on the yolks like the ones in the picture. I guess they are all different and we will gladly take them all as long as you all say it is fine, were eating them!

Just got two double yolkers in a row from our leghorn. It was the biggest egg I have ever seen in my life! It was yummy too. [​IMG] I like this.

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
  7. kpara

kpara Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    South Carolina
    I thought the white spot ment it was fertle?

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    How old were those eggs? I've never seen that before. Assuming they were very fresh but if not, wondering if they were fertile and started to develop? (Even if that's the case, I've heard that's a delicacy in some places - perfectly edible so don't panic.)

If they are new layers, maybe that's just the way they are supposed to be? Just guessing.

9. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    I think it is a normal varient.

10. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I've seen it lots of times. I have always ate it before and had no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by