1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What is the widest age range...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Godiva, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Songster 11 Years

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    you can raise together without there being bullying problems? I am thinking that I may end up having a few different hatches once I start hatching and I was wondering if all those chicks can be raised together or if I need to separate them until bigger... anyway, sny tips would be appreciated!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends a bit on the birds and the age of the youngest. 4 weeks apart when they are 14 weeks and 10 weeks isn't that big of a deal, but day olds and 4 week olds is.

Since you are hatching sucessively, I say about 3 weeks is all you want to do, since they will have a different temp requirement. Just let the newborns have their own brooder for a few days or so so they can get up onto their feet, before popping them in with the older ones. Keep the range within a month though as some chicks chould easily smush the younger ones.

However, I have done up to 4 weeks difference, but the oldest one was just a lone chick so was happy and just fine having a bunch of week olds running around.

3. Godiva

Godiva Songster 11 Years

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Great that gives me an idea! Thanks Silkiechicken, hopefully I can co-ordinate the whole lot into even closer range than that but that gives me a ball park to aim for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: