What is there other half? and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grumpypantsmomma, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Grumpypantsmomma

Grumpypantsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    I have 5 chicks that are 4 months! Their mom is a pure bred Nankin. Two of them have black skin blue earlobes and five toes and feathered feet. I'm guessing there dad was there previous owners silkie! But these 3 are a mystery, two have pufts of feathers on there heads and one doesn't. they have pink legs and only 4 toes. as their mothers have blue slate legs i am guessing the pink came from dad! any guesses as to the dad of these three. the original owner only had one Roo, a red silkie. but he free ranged the mom and the neighbor had a ton of Roos, so i'm guessing she was naughty and rande-vued with another Roo!
    Here are two silkie Nankins (look like both boys to me)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here are the 3 in question
    Pullet 1 No Puft of feathers
    [​IMG]
    Pullet 2 Puft of feathers
    [​IMG]
    and the Roo Puft of feathers on head
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Silkie crosses have the mohawk like that, but mine are black skinned. It seems like if momma has slate legs and dad was black skinned they would have dark skin, but I am NOT a geneticist, so maybe theres a recessive gene in there somewhere!
    They're cute whatever they are!

3. Grumpypantsmomma

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    Yep both momma's had blue slate legs, what I don't get is the chicks all have 5 toes except the one without the mullet.

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    There is really no telling. Do you know what the possible fathers could be? The ones with 5toes, feathered legs, and top notch (puff on head) I would think if the mom is pure the dad could be a Silkie or Silkie cross. The second picture, looks like a pullet, looks like she has white/pearl legs. It is rally hard without knowing both possible parentage.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    last pic looks like a polish cross

6. Grumpypantsmomma

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    Yes moms are pure breed, The only roo that the previous owner had was a Silkie, I do not know if he was cross or not, but the neighbor down the lane had a Ton of Roo's!

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Unless a stray rooster got a chance with the hens, I think the Silkie rooster might not of been pure or was breed to pure. And, what I mean by breed to pure is that somewhere down the line another breed was crossed in. The top notch/beards/muffs, feathered legs, and 5 toes tends to be passed down in a first time cross. So, I would think that a pure Silkie crossed to pure Nankin would produce chicks with 5 toes, dark/slate colored legs, top notch/beard/muff, and possible Silkie feathering....color would depend on the color of the parents. Your second pic (pullet) appears to have white/pearl (can look pinkish) colored legs, and the last pic (possible roo) looks to have green or greenish yellow legs, which also leads me to believe that if the Silkie is the father then he is not pure.

8. Grumpypantsmomma

Aug 25, 2010
    Clatskanie, OR
    That would explain a lot! I agree that Dad was not pure silkie!

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Silkie mix Roo over your Nankins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by