What is this an EE, Ameraucana, or Welsummer? Or something else... ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1quest, Mar 3, 2014.

1. 1quest

1quest Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I've seen this post a few times now, it's too soon to tell. The only thing I can tell you as of now is it's not an Ameraucauna. It could be a different breed totally because a lot look the same when young. Post again when the bird is 6-8 weeks.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Ditto above but she/he is a cutie! Enjoy.

4. 1quest

Feb 17, 2014
    Ok I am so sorry for being impatient... I am trying to do as much research as I can... we have a chicken ordinance and I am enrolling in 4H hoping that we can keep. But if its a boy then I have to find him a home. I am just trying to do the right thing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    It's quite alright! You'll just be getting a lot of the same answers. There's no way to tell for most breeds until they become fully feathered. They grow fast and before you know it they'll have all their feathers. Look for the comb turning pink, that's going to be one of the first signs.
    Can you tell what kind of comb the chick has? If you could post a clear closeup of the comb, it may be able to narrow down what it could possibly be. If it came out of the bantams bin, it's most likely an old English game but I got 2 red stars out of an Easter egger bin, so who really knows what goes on there.

Once the bird is about 6-8 weeks you can post again and the folks here will be able to help you whether it's a girl or boy. I've never had trouble rehoming a cockerel, and they go really fast for me on Craigslist. You shouldn't have a problem finding the chick a home if it is indeed a boy, until then just enjoy having it. :)

6. 1quest

Feb 17, 2014
    THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by