What is this and can I help her????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aidensmomma, Oct 5, 2013.

1. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    This baby was knocked around by some other chicks and she was suffocating from what I could tell...I tried to help her but I'm pretty sure I did more harm then good....I just couldn't stand by and do nothing (maybe I should have)

She's out, breathing, but what is that on her hind end and is she going to make it? She's been peeping at me and moving around a little. I have her wrapped in a towel and another towel in the dryer (which I run on high heat for a few minutes every now and then) I have a thermometer in there to make sure it doesn't get too hot.
    TIA for any help.
    okay..sorry for no photo, I have to reply to this and take it with my phone...stand by

2. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    looks like its not her leg, its her bottom and it is unabsorbed yolk sack. u need to keep her still and by herself with a heat lamp about 90 degrees. she hatched too early. look up unabsorbed yolk and get some tips to keep her alive until its gone. thats why the others were picking.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    u said hind end, i read hind leg. sorry

5. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    thank you for the reply, that's what I thought...I have her wrapped pretty well and she doesn't seem to want to move anyway...like I said, the dryer is a perfect place for her! That, and the room she's in is about 92.
    I will continue searching threads

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    u are welcome, hope she makes it[​IMG]

7. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    I haven't seen in any of the threads how long it takes to absorb...is there a time frame I should be looking for? poor thing, I feel horrible. I knew something was wrong when I saw bright red blood in her shell. Do you think she is suffering? gosh I hate this.

8. aidensmomma

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    and just to clarify, I do take her out of the dryer before I run it for a few minutes!!! don't want to freak anyone out.[​IMG]

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hahaha, dont u like steamed chicken? to ur question, it depends on how early or how big it is. if it does good i would guess no more than 3 days. just a guess. did u find any tips like putting antibiotic on it? i know u can use it but without the pain reliver in it. some thing in that is no good. probable gonna need a light bulb. dont think u want to stay up for 3 days running dryer

10. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I think the time frame all depends on the chick for how long it takes for the yolk sack to be absorbed or just dry out. I had a chick hatch early with a yolk sack but it was smaller than your chicks. Mine dried up in about three days. I hope your chick makes it! I wonder if the humidity in your drier should be upped? I was able to leave mine in the incubator so I didn't think about humidity

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by