1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this and what the heck is going on???!!with pics, please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LauraG, Apr 1, 2011.

1. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    My hens are about 1 year old (3 weeks shy of 1 year)

This is the second egg I have found like this in the roosting pan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suspect the culprit is mysweet Golden Comet because I havent gotten an egg from her in what seems like days!

Then the Golden Comet and one of my BR hens were both in nesting boxes just now and they are bok, bok, boki-ing their little brains out like they do when they are laying eggs and they come out into the run like they are done. I go to check, and NOTHING- no eggs from either one! [​IMG]

And heres my Buff Orpington. Shes losing feathers on her head and when i looked at her fluffy butt for mites, shes got a round bald patch back there too! So does my RIR...

[​IMG]

What the heck is going on??? Is this moulting? I thought this happened in the fall???

And whats with the rubber egg?

They have fresh, organic feed and YES, the have oyster shell free choice. As well as veggie treats and they've been free ranging on spots that dont have any snow....

They are acting ok--- eating, drinking and just generally being chickens.

I dont see any mites, but I dusted them, their roosts and the coop last week anyway.

Can somebody tell me whats the heck is going on???? [​IMG]

Obviously Im clueless!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have seen those myself from my hens, hopefully it will work itself out, it has here. Just be sure they are getting plenty of oyster shell and a good quality laying feed. you can also give a little added protein. I use yogurt and kefir and also meal worms.

3. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Miss Lydia you are always so kind to help, thanks! [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks LauraG, you made my day!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by