What is this animal and is it a threat to my birds?!?!?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MeghanChickLady, Oct 26, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    I was going down my road the other day, a quarter of a mile from my house and I saw a dark shadow in a ditch. I slowed and looked out the window, and it was this long, weasel like creature, but bigger. It had a pointed head and a sleek body, and it made the jump out of the ditch(a foot at most) easily. It ran pretty fast, towards my land. It had a longish tail, short legs, and was very lithe. It had rounded, little ears. The pelt was thick and dark. I was unable to catch a picture in the twenty/thirty seconds I saw it before it was gone.

The only reason Im worried is that it hissed at me aggressively and showed me a good set of sharp teeth. It was also eating a dead kitten.

Any ideas?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Where are you located? It sounds as if it may be a fisher, and yes they kill and eat cats and chickens.

3. mrmcduck

mrmcduck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Buffalo county Wisconsin
    My guess is that's its a mink and I would say yes they can do much harm to your flock. I wish you luck

4. MeghanChickLady

Aug 6, 2014
    Thank you for the wishes of luck and I live in central Vermont. What can I do to prevent any attakcs???

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not impossible, but I have never known of a mink killing and eating a cat. Fishers are definitely found in Vermont. Fortify your coop and run to protect your birds. Do an on line search on 'fishers or fisher cats' to see if this is indeed what you saw.

6. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Fisher's are about 3'-4' long with tail

Mink are closer to 2' with tail

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]
    Mink

[​IMG]
    Fisher

Similar in appearance, but different in size.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. MeghanChickLady

Aug 6, 2014
    thank you for the help you guys, I did search and it is most definitely a fisher. I'm going to fix up my coop and close my chickens inside the coop at night. Thank you. You probably just saved ten chicken lives.The pictures posted also told me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Good plan! I would definitely fortify my coop and run if I saw one of those things near my house. We do have mink, but they rarely come near the building site. We have a huge slough (swamp, if you will) across the road from our place with plenty of food for them there.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Look for tiny openings in your coop and wire. I had an possum get in once. Fortunately the birds were coops. Interestingly, it got in by ripping the chicken wire in a narrow panel where it was stretched tighter than the 3x4 panels. I think the fact that narrow panel of wire was more taut and let the possum get a good grip on it
    and rip it. We fixed the problem with a solid board across that narrow space.
    Best,
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by