what is this beautiful hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by debbyluvschickens, May 19, 2008.

1. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    My mother in law gave me this chicken becuase she was "tired of her chickens". She bought it from a petting zoo, who bought it from someone else, so this chicken has really been passed around. When my MIL got her, she was about half grown, and has just started laying within the last month or so. Her eggs are light brwon and pretty small compared to the size of the hen. I posted her pic a little while back, but she was a little ragged looking when I got her, and she has since grown LOTS of pretty feathers all down her feet and legs. I dont have a better picture, she is still a little leary of people and I dont like to upset her by catching her. She is the prettiest hen I own and I would love to have more like her, so I need to get an idea of what she is or what shes mixed with. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    part blue splash cochin? I dunno [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  3. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I hadnt even thought of a cochin mix...that makes sense, she is huge and cochins get pretty big right?

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Is she all black? I cant tell if the pics are lighter because of your camera flash.
    Does she have furry feet/legs?

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Whatever she is,she sure is pretty.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    possibly a blue orp?????

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    NOt sure, i'd guess blue orp as well. They are so beautiful

8. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    What a doll, whatever she is!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

In the one picture it looks like she's got some leg feathering, so I don't think she's an orp. Does she have a rose comb?

10. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    shes not black, shes dark grey. She does have a LOT of feathers on her feet and legs that werent there when I got her. She has a rose/pea comb, not sure the difference or if there is one. She is still fairly young too, only been laying a month or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by