What is this behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Windkisthounds, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Windkisthounds

Windkisthounds New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Hi all, I've been lurking here quite a while. I started with some chickens just last year in May. I really have enjoyed them (wyandottes) They didn't lay until late in Nov 2013 and so far its been about 1 egg a day. Recently I have this one hen that is really Broody and laying in the nest box but, she has quit laying and just sits in there. The others seem to hate her. The Roo especially. And she does this posturing. I'll post a pic. What on Earth is going on? She isn't sick.. she is fine when I kick her out of the box. Eats and drinks normally. I'm sure its hormonal but, would like to know why she is doing this.

[​IMG]

Thanks all!

Leah

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If she stays on the nests day and night for several days, she may well be broody.
    Not sure what the dropped wing is about. Rooster behavior for mating, never read much about hens doing that.

4. Windkisthounds

Windkisthounds New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks! I do believe she is Broody but, I can't figure out why she quit laying eggs? And why my roo is being such a butthead chasing her away. Its too cold to put any eggs under her yet (utah) so, we'll see how she is in a few months.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    A broody hen doesn't lay eggs while she is broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by