What is this behavior?

Windkisthounds

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 14, 2014
Hi all, I've been lurking here quite a while. I started with some chickens just last year in May. I really have enjoyed them (wyandottes) They didn't lay until late in Nov 2013 and so far its been about 1 egg a day. Recently I have this one hen that is really Broody and laying in the nest box but, she has quit laying and just sits in there. The others seem to hate her. The Roo especially. And she does this posturing. I'll post a pic. What on Earth is going on? She isn't sick.. she is fine when I kick her out of the box. Eats and drinks normally. I'm sure its hormonal but, would like to know why she is doing this.

Thanks all!

Leah

If she stays on the nests day and night for several days, she may well be broody.
Not sure what the dropped wing is about. Rooster behavior for mating, never read much about hens doing that.

Thanks! I do believe she is Broody but, I can't figure out why she quit laying eggs? And why my roo is being such a butthead chasing her away. Its too cold to put any eggs under her yet (utah) so, we'll see how she is in a few months.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom