What is this Black hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mbleily, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Here is my black hen that came in a rainbow layer group from Meyers. She has very black legs and white earlobs. The Australorps I have have red earlobs. She has the slick body like the andalusian I have.
    [​IMG]
    She is in the middle there. Here is another picture of her standing on the roost.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Could be an Andalusian (blue gene, they can be black, blue or splash) or Minorca

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  3. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:I was thinking an Andalusian. But I thought the legs would still be more grayish or silver looking. My splash has silver looking legs. Did you see the white one I questioned too. She has Yellow legs. I would say she was an andalusian except for the leg color. I didn't know if they came with yellow legs.

4. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    It might be a black star from looking at the pic in the Murray catalog, it kind of looks like that. And I just have to say that is a *great* roosting pic - very cool!

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Black star would have red earlobes and red in it's hackle. [​IMG]

mbleily- I'm leaning more towards Minorca, since you said her legs are darker then your Andalusian. I did see the other picture and I think she's a leghorn.

6. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:My chickens love the roost. They are on it must of the time. I go out and stand there infront of them and feel like I could conduct a chorus. In fact the Lt. br. Leghorn rooster gave me a solo the other day. He started chucking and chackling like a hen that just laid an egg. We were eye to eye in level. It was very eye opening for me because I never heard a rooster do that.

now for the black star......in the Meyer site they show a much larger comb on theirs. Her comb is quite small at 16 weeks.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm no help.... just wanted to say.... what a pretty mixture of chickens you have!!! [​IMG]

8. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:Thank you I am very happy with them. My SIL and I ordered 50 Rainbow Layers from Meyer. I couldn't be happier with what I got. We just divided them even. I did get most of the EE's because that was what I wanted and she got all of the Buff Orphs because that was what she wanted. She got a Blue Andalusian and a couple of splashes. Other than that it was pretty even. I think she got more Wellsummers but I got one so I am happy. Can you tell I am really into my chickens. LOL

9. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    It is a Black Minorca, congrats [​IMG] I think they lay the largest eggs.

10. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Well, guys, Meyer doesn't list minocas. I just wrote them to see if they slipped one in on my order. I hope they can tell me something.

Thanks for all who looked and commented. She really looks like the minorcas that I have seen now that you have told me what you think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by