What IS this? Came out of my pot belly pig---Graphic/Gross pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by drdoolittle, Jul 10, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    This came out of my pot belly pig's female part this morning. The dark are is just where dirt got on it-----it is a jelly-like substance (reminds me of the stuff in a diaper or water crystals). Could she possibly be about to give birth (I've only had her about a month) or is this something that happens when they are in heat?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Please-----does anyone have any ideas? It didn't have an odor to it----so I don't think she has an infection or anything.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Could she possibly be about to give birth

Does she look pregnant?

Are her teats full of milk?

It might be a mucus plug​

4. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    That's the thing----I don't think she looks pregnant. I don't think it's an infection of any kind----not pus, just a jello-like consistency and white/translucent----and no odor. She eats like a pig and isn't lethargic at all. My other female won't leave her alone-----maybe they're both just in heat?
    Here are some pics of the one the stuff came from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

She doesn't look pregnant to me...

Is the "mass" gelatinous or are those "crystals" firm?

PBs can get urinary stones which can bind together...if they are firm that's probably what it is...

If it's gelatinous...could be a mucous plug??

Hmm...just noticed you said jello like consistency...

Do you have a vet you could show it to?

eta: You should pop over to BYH and post this and see if anyone over there has seen anything like this...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  6. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Yes, I'll try posting on BYHs. I'm just thinking it has something to do with being in heat.

7. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    Pigs don't really have flabby milk bags untill piglets really start nursing well.. If you notice when a baby pig eats they will take the teat in their mouth and suck a few moments then nose all the way around the teat this helps the milk flow down into place then she will be bagged up the more the pigs do this To me she does look a bit preggers but not heavy preggers

This is millie first month
    [​IMG]
    2nd month
    [​IMG]
    3 rd month
    [​IMG]
    the count down - 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days any time to pop mark sorry she was a bit dirty pigs get hot when they are about to have pigs! Lots of mud bathing and nest building
    [​IMG]
    Not much bigger than a chicken as seen here and 3 months and 3 weeks and 3 days preggers
    [​IMG]
    See there will be a slight milk ridge till the babies start rooting the milk down into place
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Day before birth
    [​IMG]

Pigs will do this before birthing... Make a GIANT pig nest and gather ANYTHING they can find including sticks rocks and all... I spent a ton of time digging out rocks and sticks outta her nest.
    [​IMG]

This video is more nesting activity and also shows her biting down on things too in a not so happy go lucky mood LOL

[​IMG]

8. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    In that vid... that silly chicken better get out of the way. [​IMG]

And when you do find out what it is...you have to post back here because I've been waiting.... cuz it's gross and yet intreaging.

9. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    LOL that poor hen just wanted to lay in her nest too! Theres nest room for everyone!

10. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I lean towards a mucous plug. If it's her first litter (I'm assuming it is) then she won't get as big as quickly. I'm thinking she looks a lot like LMEggs pig, Millie, in the 3rd month picture. She's got a pretty big potbelly, even for a PBP! Lol!

How long have you had her? Has she even been exposed to a male?

Shelly

ETA: Nevermind! I just re-read where you've only had her a month! Duh! Lol! Let us know what you find out!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by