What is This Chick? Confusing Me! 7 Week old Del *UPDATED PICS PAGE 3

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PepsNick, Mar 4, 2011.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    This Delaware chick is five weeks old. I am planning on selling it this weekend so need to know gender. I was thinking pullet, but look at it now...

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Sorry, I don't mean to bump, but I really need to know so I can contact some people and set up my auction...

3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I am not an expert on sexing so i could be wrong. It looks to me as if it is a pullet. It is still a little early to tell i think. Some of the feathers makes me think boy but then the comb and everything else makes me think boy.

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

For my Delawares it was especially difficult to tell - I was never quite sure until they actually started laying eggs. Turned out they both were girls - but developed very differently and at very different rates. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Thanks.

Any others want to pitch in?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  6. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    the pictures aren't very clear, but I would guess roo. The hackle feathers in the first photo are very pointy looking. Legs look thicker also.

7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I have several at that age it is most likely a rooster, any barring in the tail or faint barring? Look like rooster legs.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Both sexes with these Delawares have thick legs. I'm not so sure of the sex of that one, Nick. Why are you in a hurry to sell it? Be better to wait a bit and not make the mistake of selling a pullet. Tasha, who is ten weeks old, has humongous legs and there is no question she's a she. If I was forced to call it now, however, I'd lean toward a late blooming cockerel, but then again, they've fooled me before.

Your pictures are really not clear enough to make a judgement call, way too grainy.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here are some pics of your chicks half sister, Tasha.

@ 4 Weeks:

[​IMG]

A bit later:

[​IMG]

Then @ 9 Weeks:

[​IMG]

10. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I want to sell it soon because I want brooder space, and am one that likes to have everything sorted asap. We just want to et settles with these, I guess, plus we are leaving town for a while next week.

Thank you for the pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by