1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this chick? White d'Uccle or something else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bellatrixed, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    So... I have this chick that I initially thought was part of the d'Uccle bantam assortment I ordered from Ideal, but as it grows up I start doubting that more.

It has always been MUCH larger than the other d'Uccles from the assortment, and now it's so big that it looks like a small standard instead of a bantam. It is white, except it has two feathers on one wing that are buff with black dots at the end. I'm starting to think it's a mixed breed since it's so bizarre!

My chicks just turned 2 weeks today and are all the same age. Here you can see a Brown Red d'Uccle, an Orpington, and mystery chick on the right. The size difference between it and the known d'Uccle is so striking, but that d'Uccle was always the runt--it's much smaller than my Mille Fleur & Buff d'Uccles too, but still.

[​IMG]

And here it is again with a Barred Rock & Australorp, still on the right:

[​IMG]

It has feathered hocks and leg feathers like a d'Uccle should and appears to have a beard. It's just so... big... and weird! Any input is appreciated. [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    cochin?? what type of comb does it have

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its bearded not cochin. that little black d'uccle I am surprised it is still alive it is way to small as for the other its a d'uccle

4. Bellatrixed

Jan 19, 2013
    It has a single comb. Is it possible it is a white d'Uccle, but it's just low quality and therefore huge? I agree it physically looks like a d'Uccle but I've never known a bantam to be as big as standard chicks! lol

I'm surprised the black one is still alive too, but it's really active and lively. It always rushes to the food when I fill it up and doesn't seem to get pushed around by the others, so I have no idea how it's managed to stay so tiny.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. Bellatrixed

Jan 19, 2013
    Does anyone else have any guesses for how a bantam chick is standard size? Or are we all in agreement it's just a mutant? [​IMG]

6. Chang1993

Chang1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Here's my white d'uccle hen that I bought from a breeder.
    I put her with my porcelain d'uccle rooster. They both are very young.

[​IMG]

7. Bellatrixed

Jan 19, 2013
    Since this thread was bumped, this is what the chick in the OP grew up to be. I still have no idea what he was... mix maybe? I wasn't very happy with Ideal's overall quality and never bought from them again. He was a lovely roo but didn't seem purebred to me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  8. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Wow looks like mine! You ever figure out what color it's called?

9. Chang1993

Chang1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey I got two little guy that looks like him. By the way, mine were cross by two different d'uccles. I will post some of his pics soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by