What Is This Chicken???

Siajkk

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2016
First time chicken owner. So glad I found this group! When we picked up our chicks about 10 weeks ago we were told this chick was a Buff Orpington. Maybe it is...but researching the breed to help me decide if this is a Roo or Hen...this doesn't look like a Buff Orpington! I love her. Don't care what she is. Just would like to know! :). Any thoughts?

Thank you so much! I am reading everything I can get my hands on and looking forward to making a contribution to this site! :). I have no idea what she is. She is super sweet. Follows me around like a dog. Comes when I call her. Let's me snuggle her and carry her around like a baby. Just wish I knew what she was for sure and if "she" was a Hen or Roo!

I'm no expert either, but that comb is awfully large for a 10 week old. I'm leaning toward boy. And I don't think it's a Speckled Sussex. What color are those legs? @Rabbitlover1 's guess with the Jubilee Orpington may be a good guess..

I am looking up Jubilee Orpington and I can see the resemblance...but if you look up pics of 10 week old Jubilee Orpington chicks...she doesn't look like them. She doesn't look like a 10 week old Buff Orpington. We bought 4 pullets from someone who truly knew what they were doing. Those 4 are-2 Americauna Easter Eggers. 1 black sex link. 1 red sex link. Then we have 4 from someone who had no idea what they were doing and all 4 were sick and had to be put on antibiotics. Those are 1 Buff Orpington that isn't. 1 Easter Egger pullet that has turned out to be a Roo. 1 Plymouth Rock who I really believe is a pullet. 1 black Silkie that is supposed to be a pullet.

I apologize. I just checked myself. If I look up English Jubilee Orpington that is EXACTLY what she looks like. I think that's it! Thank you so much!!! Now I just need to figure out the gender. And it has to be a hen because I can't keep roosters and I love this baby!!!

To answer the question about the color or the legs...yellow and skinny..?

Orpingtons have white skin/legs. Jubilees are still pretty rare, I don't think this in one. My guess is mixed breed cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom