What Is This Chicken???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Siajkk, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Siajkk

Siajkk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    First time chicken owner. So glad I found this group! When we picked up our chicks about 10 weeks ago we were told this chick was a Buff Orpington. Maybe it is...but researching the breed to help me decide if this is a Roo or Hen...this doesn't look like a Buff Orpington! I love her. Don't care what she is. Just would like to know! :). Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rabbitlover1

Rabbitlover1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Some were on this earth.
    Is she a large foul or bantam. I'm no chicken expert but it looks like a Speckled Sussex or maybe a Jubilee Orpington. Hopes that helps and welcome to BYC.

3. Siajkk

Mar 12, 2016
    Thank you so much! I am reading everything I can get my hands on and looking forward to making a contribution to this site! :). I have no idea what she is. She is super sweet. Follows me around like a dog. Comes when I call her. Let's me snuggle her and carry her around like a baby. Just wish I knew what she was for sure and if "she" was a Hen or Roo!

4. Rabbitlover1

Rabbitlover1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Some were on this earth.
    If you want some advice on her/his gender try posting her/him on this thread "Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or A Cockerel? Click Here!". Hope it helps

5. Jujubara

Jujubara Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Western Mass
    I'm no expert either, but that comb is awfully large for a 10 week old. I'm leaning toward boy. And I don't think it's a Speckled Sussex. What color are those legs? @Rabbitlover1 's guess with the Jubilee Orpington may be a good guess..

6. Siajkk

Mar 12, 2016
    I am looking up Jubilee Orpington and I can see the resemblance...but if you look up pics of 10 week old Jubilee Orpington chicks...she doesn't look like them. She doesn't look like a 10 week old Buff Orpington. We bought 4 pullets from someone who truly knew what they were doing. Those 4 are-2 Americauna Easter Eggers. 1 black sex link. 1 red sex link. Then we have 4 from someone who had no idea what they were doing and all 4 were sick and had to be put on antibiotics. Those are 1 Buff Orpington that isn't. 1 Easter Egger pullet that has turned out to be a Roo. 1 Plymouth Rock who I really believe is a pullet. 1 black Silkie that is supposed to be a pullet.

7. Siajkk

Mar 12, 2016
    I apologize. I just checked myself. If I look up English Jubilee Orpington that is EXACTLY what she looks like. I think that's it! Thank you so much!!! Now I just need to figure out the gender. And it has to be a hen because I can't keep roosters and I love this baby!!!

8. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I would say it's a rooster, sorry.

9. Siajkk

Mar 12, 2016
    To answer the question about the color or the legs...yellow and skinny..?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Orpingtons have white skin/legs. Jubilees are still pretty rare, I don't think this in one. My guess is mixed breed cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by