What is this Cochin cockeral DOING???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Penske, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    We have a standard white cochin cockeral-14 weeks old, just started crowing last week (and trying to mate!). He is the only roo with 12 pullets (2 are bantums). They have all been raised together since they were a day old.

We really want to keep him.

So far, he only crows in the morning maybe 3-6 times and again in the afternoon. Not a big deal.

They have a nice big coop and run and are happy and peaceful.

He has never wanted to be handled, but will eat out of our hands. When we are in the run/coop, he stays nearby but never tries to peck or touch us. We always announce ourselves as we approach the run/coop. He (and the the girls) like to be sung to (my daughter is 7!) (They sit around us like it's storytime!!)

If this is his personality now, does it look good for the future??
    He'll be so huge and pretty!

ALSO...when I am in the coop, he comes in and sometimes lays on the bedding with his head in the corner and makes this repeated chirpy sound...What's THAT!??? He did it once in he run, too. Same position with his head pointed into the corner of the fence???

Thanks for your great advice!!

Lisa

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    He's playing "let's freak out the chicken mama." [​IMG]

3. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    some roos are very docile. cochins are USUALLY very sweet and good natured roosters. i have had one that would flogg you before you could get in the door....but if you don't notice a change in behavior i'd keep him as long as he gets along w / you. the chirppy sound he is making sounds like a "call" that roosters will do when they have found something yummy and want to call the hens attention to. nothing to worry about.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My friend had to separate one of her roosters (she had two) because they were fighting. She put him in the pen right next to the others. He found a bug and began a trilling sound and all the hens come running but they couldn't get to it [​IMG] They were all pushing on the fence to get their treat...so cute but sad. Anyway, when the hens didn't make it to them he brought it to my friend and laid it at her feet! TOO CUTE!

5. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thank you so much!

I knew SOMEONE on here would know!! [​IMG]

Yes, we are keeping him unless he turns on us, which I do not think will happen.

This was the same chick that we were worried about in the beginning with the limp neck, etc. I really think we are meant to have him !!

Thanks again!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by