What is this directly above her vent ?

I'm not sure what that is.

My first thoughts are a burst abscess or possibly a wound (plucked feathers?) that may have had a bit of fly strike and has partially healed.
Any odors? Is it soft, hard, oozing?

How does her abdomen feel? You mention she is lethargic, when was the last time she laid an egg?

It looks like you have cleaned the area well. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to it.

Try to keep her hydrated. If you have some poultry vitamins offer those in her water. Hydration first, then food. If she won't eat her normal food, try some hard boiled or scrambled egg.

I agree with Wyorp Rock. It looks like she could be suffering from maggot infestation (fly strike) of a wound. Bring her inside and try soaking just her bottom in warm soapy water (you may also use salt water, weak betadine, or Epsom salts.) see if you can clean it and if there are maggots, they should come out. These can eat holes through the skin making the chicken very sick. Here is some reading if you think this might be a problem:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/07/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...autionary-tale-with-graphic-photo-progression

I'm not sure what that is.

My first thoughts are a burst abscess or possibly a wound (plucked feathers?) that may have had a bit of fly strike and has partially healed.
Any odors? Is it soft, hard, oozing?

How does her abdomen feel? You mention she is lethargic, when was the last time she laid an egg?

It looks like you have cleaned the area well. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to it.

Try to keep her hydrated. If you have some poultry vitamins offer those in her water. Hydration first, then food. If she won't eat her normal food, try some hard boiled or scrambled egg.
She smells terrible. I am taking her to the vet now.
She does not want to eat. The black area does not ooze. Hard. seems like it is a little deep. because the skin around the wound stands up around it.
She really smells bad. she had quite a bit of poo stuck to her feathers. cut the feathers and washed her really good. I did not see maggots in or around the black scab.
I gave her enroflaxin last nite and this a.m.
with yogurt and I added the water like you suggested. she does not want anything.
very sleepy, balance not good, boney.

I will report back.
mg

I'm glad you are able to see a vet.

Pleas keep us posted on how she's doing.
The vet walked in smelled that odor and said crop stasis. He might cut open
the crop. If the stuff won't come out. He said the guy down the street (vet) does not use sedation.
Dr.B uses sedation.
50/50 chance, she is weak, I don't know if she will pull through.

I will update later. Oh and the black wound he said was nothing.

Last edited:
The vet walked in smelled that odor and said crop stasis. He might cut open
the crop. If the stuff won't come out. He said the guy down the street (vet) does not use sedation.
Dr.B uses sedation.
50/50 chance, she is weak, I don't know if she will pull through.

I will update later. Oh and the black wound he said was nothing.
Oh my
hugs.gif

It never occurred to me when you mentioned that she had a terrible smell, that it was coming from the crop. I assumed it was the wound that had infection.

I am so glad that your vet is knowledgeable and identified the crop issue quickly.

I hope she pulls through. Please keep us posted.

Oh my
hugs.gif

It never occurred to me when you mentioned that she had a terrible smell, that it was coming from the crop. I assumed it was the wound that had infection.

I am so glad that your vet is knowledgeable and identified the crop issue quickly.

I hope she pulls through. Please keep us posted.
Ohh, this is really something.
Last nite when I was checking her I felt her crop. It was "different" full but didn't feel right.
Too tight.
This a.m. before I took her to the vet the crop was down but was hard and smaller.
I gave her syringed water, yogurt and baytril.
She is still at the vet tonite. He took x-rays, she has rocks! in the crop and and all the way down her
digestive tract. He said something about the end something was there.
Again, he told me this is dangerous and he may have to cut the crop.
He will do the surgery tomorrow Tues.
Giving her intravenous antibiotics and fluids.
I pray.
She has never been friendly doesn't matter, she is my responsibility to care about her welfare.
The reason I got hens was NEVER to buy eggs from the battery cage birds again.
I will update.
Thank you.
mg

Thanks for the update.

Wow. How large are the rocks? Must have tried to use the for grit and swallowed one too large to pass?

I know you care very much for your flock.

Wishing you the best.
How large are the rocks? I will find out tomorrow.
I will see the x-rays or what the vet gets out of her.
I told my husband no rocks in the yard when he put
pallet steps up to the coop. I don't like rocks it is hard for the
girls to walk on. Well, of course there are rocks up there under the pallets.
I can only surmise this is where she got the rocks.
I buy grit for them. She had never seen the rocks before and possibly
ate them for grit. Girls are smarter than Boys sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom