what is this duck? sex&breed - thanks!!!

Aug 18, 2017
so i adopted this duck as a duckling, wasn't told sex or breed, was a "leftover" saved from whatever hatcheries do with leftover chicks...dog food? i don't wanna find out...anyways, With what little information i could find, my duck-newbie self has been watching what i thought was a "she" grow up as the closest breed i could find to "her" appearance, which was a possible buff orpington (forgive me if spelling is off..) , except it's the wrong color...she's gray and white... i originally thought her a she, bc there's no dark coloration on the neck or in the feathers/tail, etc, which i thought all orpington drakes had. well, this week i discovered a halfly-curled tail, which i thought only existed in the males. she's about 3 months of age. now i'm second-guessing both the sex and the breed, which i'd never been 100% sure about to begin with. any thoughts?
DSC_6063.JPG
DSC_6064.JPG
DSC_6065.JPG

Only males have Drake feathers or curl in tail. Wait a week or so and it will be much more of a curl if it's male. I have a female that has a bit of a turned up tail like that. But could just be Drake feathers coming in and in few days to week or so it will be definite curl if it's a male. As for breed not sure, but a beautiful duck. Love the light bluish color

so i adopted this duck as a duckling, wasn't told sex or breed, was a "leftover" saved from whatever hatcheries do with leftover chicks...dog food? i don't wanna find out...anyways, With what little information i could find, my duck-newbie self has been watching what i thought was a "she" grow up as the closest breed i could find to "her" appearance, which was a possible buff orpington (forgive me if spelling is off..) , except it's the wrong color...she's gray and white... i originally thought her a she, bc there's no dark coloration on the neck or in the feathers/tail, etc, which i thought all orpington drakes had. well, this week i discovered a halfly-curled tail, which i thought only existed in the males. she's about 3 months of age. now i'm second-guessing both the sex and the breed, which i'd never been 100% sure about to begin with. any thoughts?
View attachment 1167111 View attachment 1167112 View attachment 1167113
Have you done a YouTube search on the sound of male and female quacks? You should definitely be able to tell by now. He/she is really pretty. Doesn't look like leftovers! But you know what they say "what's one man's junk is another man's treasure"!

NO clue on breed but voice should be totally evident by now as far as gender goes. Raspy, froggy quack for boy....”Aflac” duck loud, sharp quack female

Back
Top Bottom