1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this? Eye swelling? With picture.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tdhenson86, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

Can anyone identify what this is? I bought some new chickens over the weekend and all 3 have this. Please help!

I am treating them all with Tylan, but I want to know if this is a disease that will lay dormant in their systems and infect all my other birds when introduced. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
  3. tdhenson86

They did also have lice. Could this be from that?

4. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Could be where they lived before you got them. Lice could mean they lived in dirty bedding, and the infection could be un-sanitary conditions. [​IMG] I would definitely keep them away from your other birds until you are absolutely sure they have gotten over everything.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I've read about eye worm but have no experience with it. You might want to research it to see if it's a possibility.

6. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
  7. tdhenson86

They will definitely be separate from my other birds. I hope it isn't mycoplasma gall. I asked the people I got them from and of course got the response "oh. Our birds have never had anything our ever even been sick. It must be from you." Then they said whatever it was, garlic would cure it. How wonderful doing business with them. :(

8. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
  9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Is the skin around her other eye the same? It doesn't look like the typical type of swelling you see with a respitory issue.....

10. tdhenson86

It is just like this around both eyes of all of them.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by