What is this hanging out of my chicken's butt?PICTURES! PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Agnella, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Sweet Pea. A 2 yr old buff orpington. She was attacked by a possum about a year ago and pulled through!
    She is acting completely normal. However, she squats and acts like she's trying really hard to push something out. I tried to tug on this thing hanging out and she acted as though that was painful...so of course I stopped.
    She has access to fresh water, Purina Layena crumbles and crushed oyster shell all day. In the evening I let them out for an hour or so before bed to wander the yard.
    I noticed this just this evening. I had checked all their butts on a routine butt check this morning and found nothing like this so it had to have happened this afternoon.

Any ideas? Please help me :(

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. notv

notv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I'm sorry to hear about your bird. It does look strange, could be prolapse but I think that is usually red and swollen. Have you wormed her before?

3. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Thanks for the reply!

I wormed them all probably about a year ago.

This thing hanging out is rubbery and I can see about an inch of it. When she strains to push it out, it looks like it's attached to something inside her by a thread...it gets very thin.

4. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I wonder if it was a soft shelled egg..with no egg? [​IMG] I hope someone can let you know soon!

5. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I left it in there and let her stay in the coop for the night. I hope I'm doing the right thing...

6. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    I hope someone chimes in for you. Can you soak her butt in warm water for about 20 minutes. If you can see it's not attached, that may help her relax & push it out. Then you can go from there. I hope I'm not steering you wrong. If it's attached, search 'prolapse'.

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Along with the bath, you could also try to "lube" her up - Using your finger put olive oil around and in her vent.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It appears to be a soft egg shell. Slowly and gently pull it out.

9. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Do you think it's ok if I just let her sleep tonight? Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll push it out. If not, I will do the bath and lube in the morning. Think that's ok?

10. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    What is this condition called? I'd like to research it more....Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by