What is this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Housefull, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Housefull

Housefull Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I posted this in the wrong forum. So I'll try it here. She came from a green egg from a friends farm. I know for sure she has EE and BCM plus a few more. We call her blue and she's everyones favorite girl but we don't know what she is.

[​IMG]
    Blue by little2shy21, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    Blue2 by little2shy21, on Flickr

2. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    shes a very pretty ee and my knoldge on ees is improving but basically they are mixed with a variety of who knows what it can be X amerucana or aurucana decendants. probably not even close in my terminolgy.

3. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Mom was EE and dad was BCM most likely. Looks like she has a straight comb so she will probably lay a brown egg. If it's a pea comb though she'd probably lay a nice olive or at least green egg. She's very pretty!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    looks kind of like a blue sumatra. maybe she's a ameracauna sumatra cross? I could try posting a picture of my sumatra hen?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    She looks like my Blue Copper Marans ladies, but lighter framed. It appears her shanks are feathered like a Marans; she lacks the Ameraucana pea comb + muff. If she hatched from a green egg it sounds like her mother was an Ameraucana; her father a Marans. She looks nothing like my Sumatras....

6. manybirds

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:her leg color her feather color the way she holds her tail and (i cant tell for sure from the picture but) her comb type are like that of a sumatra.but she's obviously not a purebred

7. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    Most blue birds have blue shanks. Sumatras have pea combs, very small, sleek heads, and no copper colouration (Marans have copper hackles). Hens ears are almost imperceptible.

8. manybirds

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:like i said i don't think she's purebred i just thought somewhere in her genetics there could be one

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like an Olive Egger to me. I don't think there is anything in there but BCM and Easter Egger.

10. Housefull

Housefull Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I was thinking she's a marans mix. I hatched a couple bcm eggs from the lady I got blue from but none of the marans from her have very much copper. One of the other green eggs from the same ranch came out looking like some sort of rock. I would love if she was some how a blue marans. She has good feathering on her feet. She's a shy sweet girl. I can't wait until she starts to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by