What is this Knot over my chicken's eye?

tesncs

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 12, 2014
One of my RIR chickens has a knot over her eye. It has been there for at least 3 months and does not seem to be getting any worse. Is it something I should worry about? See Picture:

How strange! When you feel it, does it feel like the rest of her caruncle, or is it hard? Does it hurt her when it is touched?

If it isn't growing or directly affecting her quality of life, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it would be possible to know what it is without getting it biopsied by a vet, though. I don't know about bird puss, but with reptiles, puss is actually hard rather than goopy/weepy. It can gather up after injury or infection and often makes lumps like that under the skin or in the body that needs to be surgically removed. It could even be a floppy tumor or that she just has a heavy brow.. maybe even a lumpy scar.

We've had her since she was a chick and I'm pretty sure she has not been injured. We only have 7 chickens and I think I would have noticed it. I don't know any veterinarians in our area who have any experience with chickens. They are all dog/cat/large animal vets. But, I know a gal who has connections to the OSU Veterinary College and she may be able to get me some free advice. Will let you know if I find out anything.

One of my RIR chickens has a knot over her eye. It has been there for at least 3 months and does not seem to be getting any worse. Is it something I should worry about? See Picture:

I have an old line RIR rooster with the same thing. It is hard, and it is a cyst. Mine's is smaller and doesn't obstruct his vision. but he has had it for almost a year, and it has not changed in size. Your's looks like it does affect her vision.

I took this picture looking down at her. It is, for the most part, above her eye, so I don't think it obstructs her vision as much as it looks like it does.

Back
Top Bottom