What is this mucus thing that I found?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabet253, Feb 21, 2015.

1. elizabet253

elizabet253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    I found it in a dust bath box, there's no poop next to it. It's clear mucus with a pale yellow shrivled thing with blood string things attached to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    bump

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Yellow and blood together? Yikes.

Have you noticed anyone acting odd? Lethargy, puffed up, eyes closed, walking like a penguin, hard or spongy abdomen, hard masses in abdomen?

When was the last time you wormed your flock?

MrsB

4. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    I don't worm them, I give them herbs to help prevent them, I can't really touch them, so I'm not sure how to tell if anything is hard? They all look normal except for one that we have who is a cripple and also got her eye poked out, so she doesn't move much, but she's interested in food when you throw it at her.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It looks like shed intestinal lining.

6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Herbs do NOT prevent worms. There is NO natural remedy for worms. Period. The ONLY effective wormer for chickens is chemical - Valbazen is the best, Safeguard is a runner up. I would *highly* recommend worming your flock once a year (at least) as a preventative for worms. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Worms WILL kill your chickens if their parasitic load becomes too great.

To examine them, wait until they roost for the evening. You can check them then with little effort. Feel their tummies and check for external parasites while you're at it. :) Hold them by their feet, part the feathers at their vent and shine a light all up in there. If you see clear or red bugs scatter, you'll need Sevin dust for your chickens and coop. If you find them, let us know, and we'll share those instructions with you to get rid of mites and lice. :)

Truly, I hope that's all it is. :)

MrsB

7. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    I lied, I wormed them with ivermectim, I was really using it for scaley leg mites but I read it helps with worming too. I was thinking it may have been intenstional sheeding, I read two arictles about normal and not normal poop and that even bloody poop is normal? Just as long as it's not in every single pile of poop. But, can anyone explain to me what this intenseninal shedding it?

8. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    They shed a fragment of their lining and it comes out with the feces. It's not bloody but looks more meaty.

Appetizing right?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You're right. Shed intestinal lining can happen on few occasions. Other causes that occur frequently could possibly be due to cocci infection or capillary worms, in which ivermectin is ineffective as a wormer in poultry and against certain types of poultry mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by