What is this mutation?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WildType, Jan 15, 2019.

1. A few months ago my mutt chicken gave birth to 30 chicks. Each and every one was distinctly different. Could someone with an understanding of genetics please explain what the mutation in the photo is called? I've been unable to match the features to anything in the charts of recognised breeds, so I'm guessing that it's not a common mutation. I could be wrong. The shiny lemon hackle feathers seem almost rooster like. But on a hen!! Its not clear in the photo but the chin feathers are bright luminous orange. Thanks in advance Ginger.JPG ginger2.JPG on

2. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    Hens take after their fathers and roosters take after their mothers. That is color, not personality, voice, or even comb. I have a pullet who has her father's colors, but is so her mother's daughter. She acts and talks like her mother, and has her mother's comb and eyes, but she has her father's long face.

3. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    Your hen has a rose comb.

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  4. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I'm not seeing anything weird.
    If it doesn't match a chart of recognized breeds, that doesn't mean it's new, that means it's a mutt. Recognized breeds are only the "official" ones.

bantamsrmyfav and imnukensc like this.
  5. Thanks for those points of view.
    My hatch included many of the standard chicken mutations like solid white, buff-Colombian, wheaten, birchen etc. This hen's bright lemon hackles are a mutation type that I personally haven't seen before. I find the colour combinations interesting. But I'm not suggesting that it is new, weird or even uncommon in other parts of the world. Here in Australia, strict quarantine laws have limited the chicken gene pool, so for me, this mutation, or combination of genes is a novelty.
    I'm really just after the name for this mutation - if it has one - to google it. I know its a mutt and mutts come in a heap of different colours and patterns. T.I.A.

6. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    This is not true at all.
    Offspring get a combination of genes from each parent and depending what genes they get and how they interact determines what they will look like.
    Sometimes a chick will look like the father sometimes like the mother and often like neither.

7. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    Ya, I have seem that. This year I hatched out a rooster that looked like his grandmother. Sparkles Jr. ( the RIR chick ) is like I said. That hen like father and roo like mother is what I've seen the most of. Once in awhile I will see other ways, though.

8. Robert G

Robert G Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    South Texas
    I agree, my white phoenix hen apparently liked my black cochin rooster and all her chicks came out black with feathers on their feet. As they grew up, the hens have the body of their mother, but with feathers on their feet and some silver/white on their necks. They are beautiful. The roosters have even more white. Sorry but the hen was hiding behind her roo.
    mixed.jpg

9. No More Empty Nest

No More Empty Nest Songster

Mar 15, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    The yellow is striking! Pretty! I have no ideas as to your question tho

10. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Its all about what genes they get, which are dominate, if they get pairs of recessives, how some genes interact with others, etc, etc.
    It would be rare that you could cross two different random patterned parents and some offspring come out looking like one and others come out like the other. And really rare that males would look like the hen and pullets like the rooster.
    Some sex links work like that or close to that which is where that idea probably comes from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: