What is this mystery chick that just appeared with my broody?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mylied, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Ok, so my broody hatched out babies on March 29th. I counted 7 on March 30th. Every day I only saw 7, if that, because sometimes chicks would hide under my other broody hen who is still setting eggs. Yesterday a storm rolled in. I saw a chick stuck in the neighboring pen with my bigger birds, so grabbed it and put all the chicks and mom back in the house. It was storming hard, so I didn't really count, just listened for peeping and hurried to put everyone away. Later on I went out to check on everyone and now there was what looked like an extra black silkie. I was very confused since I could have sworn there was only 7, but figured maybe it had been hiding under the other broody or something. Today I went out and notice one little chick does not look like the rest. It is definitely not a silkie or a showgirl, which is all I have in that pen. It is a dark chocolate brown and has regular feathering. It's about the same size as my silkie babies. The only chickens that I have seen running around the neighborhood are bantam game chickens and a big rhode island red rooster. None of my chickens look like this and I didn't even have any fertile eggs besides the silkie/showgirl and some cream legbars that didn't hatch. I am so confused. What is this little guy? Where might he have come from?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Any guesses on breed?

3. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Ok, as usual, I'm losing it. I hadn't seen the neighbor's bantam girls in a while so I was thinking they were light colored. One is running around again and is dark brown like the baby. So I think I know who the parents are. I just don't know how it ended up with my birds as I haven't seen any other chicks running around with the bantam birds. Their birds aren't people friendly, but here's a couple pics of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by