What is this Mystery chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by seminolewind, Feb 3, 2014.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I got Mystery Chick in my order. Guesses? Sex? You can click on picture for larger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    What feather-legged birds does your hatchery sell? That should narrow it down quite a bit for you. My guess is it's a cochin or brahma.

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Out of the choices they had, seemed like Dark Brahma fit the best. I hope someone with Brahmas can post an opinion.

4. Oh my gosh, she/he is SO cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I vote Dark Brahma!

5. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Cochins and Brahmas take a long time to fully feather in, so just be prepared for a wait if (s)he either of these breeds. We saw Brahmas at a recent poultry show, and some can be really huge- small dog type huge. lol I think your little one stands kind of like a baby cockerel. However, these can be breeds that are hard to tell for a long time.

We had a mystery chick as well, and it took us nearly 5 months to figure out that our Partridge Cochin actually was a male-- he just changed so much, and is even now, still changing. lol He's 9 months old now, and is still growing in hackle and saddle feeathers and even his tail feathers still. Now, after being the lowest bird in the pecking order (most docile) of our RIR, he is now the largest and fluffiest bird- resembling a small, roundish basketball. He still hasn't crowed, and has just attempted yesterday to mate a RIR (which I have to add, didn't go so well for him.). We just added some FBCM to a different pen, and he just hangs around outside their run- its obvious that he really likes the mellow dark Marans hens. lol

6. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

The comb should tell you if it's Cochin or Brahma. If single, then Cochin. Pea if Brahma.

If Dark Brahma, it won't take too long before the coloring tells you cockerel or pullet--just look at photos for an idea--the cockerels will have solid black patches.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Dark Brahma to me. What type of comb does it have?

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm pretty sure as well that it was a Brahma. But the Brahma went with 15 other chicks to the feed store to be sold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by