1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this Mystery Chick's breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FEggery, Aug 18, 2016.

1. FEggery

FEggery Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Iowa
    My first mystery chick was a buttercup roo who is now 9 weeks old. The little one is 5 weeks old and because of similar coloring and leg color I thought she was a buttercup too. BUT now I see a huge difference in her comb so she can't be a buttercup, she is sporting a single comb from what I can tell. What is she?

I am posting pics of the mystery girl and then the roo to show color similarities and comb differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The second bird pictured is not a Buttercup, but a Gold Spangled Hamburg.
    The mystery chick looks like a Campine.

1 person likes this.
  3. FEggery

FEggery Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Iowa
    I looked up the Hamburg and I think your right, except it's probably a Golden penciled Hamburg? But he doesn't look like the roosters of either breed, he looks like their hens! He crows a LOT....

Also the Campine is very likely! Thank you, I wasn't aware of that breed and they look a lot alike!

4. chickqn

chickqn New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    Sorry about posting here, just need help on identifying this chick, got it from a hatchery labled as a Delaware. The feathers on her wings are brown and black mottled? From my knowledge Delawares have mottled necks and black tail feathers. Any help on the breed? Or possible mixes? [​IMG][/IMG]

Thank you guys for any help [​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At 9 weeks old, he's too young for male hackle and saddle feathers. Those don't usually begin to develop until after 10 weeks old. And he is definitely a Spangled, not Penciled. He's still got juvenile feathering. If he were a male Penciled, he would be more red.

6. FEggery

FEggery Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Iowa

Ok, I didn't know! I am excited to see what he looks like after his big boy feathers come in then.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

My hatchery Delaware girls went through this same coloring. They've basically molted out of it, they're about 2 months now.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Delaware

9. FEggery

FEggery Just Hatched

Jun 8, 2016
    Iowa

Murray McMurray doesn't breed gold spangled hamburgs. Only silver spangled or golden penciled. So I am back to thinking a pencilled Hamburg for my roo...

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by