What is this on chicks rear? **new pics added**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by havi, Sep 12, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I was making sure my chicks werent pasting and when I picked up the little runt I noticed this(see pics.) What is it? Should I pull it off? Is this something to worry about and can I fix it? The chick seems to be okay, the only thing Ive noticed is that it is the smallest bantam and her eyes seem to be..what I call sleepy eye.

Sorry about the pictures, but all I have is my camera phone. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited to add: I dont know if this helps..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Can't be sure from pics but it looks like the umbilical cord, for lack of better word. How old is the chick. Sometimes it takes time to dry and fall off. Don't pull on it.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That looks to me like that's where the yolk sac was absorbed. DO NOT try and pull it off! OUCH! It will open back up and the chick will bleed to death if you mess with it. Just leave it alone and all will be well. You might want to just keep an eye on it though to make sure that the others are picking at that spot. [​IMG]

4. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Earlier I did get a warm cotton ball and touched it to the area for just a bit, but didnt want to mess with it too much.

I ordered 6 bantams from Ideal, they were hatched at on the 10th.

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Then yes, that's the cord or where the yolk sac absorbed. It will dry and fall off on it's own.

Since you said this chick was the runt and had sleepy eye it wouldn't hurt to give it a few drops of Poly-Vi-Sol. Try drops on side of beak. I always give it to my new hatches by adding several drops to a small amount of water and getting them to drink. It's also important that they are eating. Try wetting the chick crumbles so they can eat them easier. I put them on brooder floor because it is more natural and instinctive for them to peck at. Most of my hatches are eating wetted crumbles off brooder floor even before they dry off or can walk. They reach over with their head and peck at it.

6. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:What is that that? Where can I find it? Would a small mix of sugar water be okay if I couldnt find it? All the chicks seem to be doing fine. As far as I can tell they eat and drink fine. Ive been working since I picked up Thur, but being off for the weekend I will camp out more in there to watch. [​IMG] I will try and post a picture later of the set up, but I have a small chick feeder on one side and the waterer kinda next to it. The chicks seem to find it fine. They peck around in it and so there is some on the floor around it. I have Purnia chick crumbles.

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    If they are all eating and drinking they should be fine. I was just conerned because you said it was the runt and had sleepy eye. Sometimes the runt can't compete for food and being sleepy all the time can indicate a vitamin deficiency. Plus shipping always stresses chicks.

Poly-Vi-Sol is liquid baby vitamin/supplement - you want the one without iron. It's sold just about anywhere baby products are sold. There are also competitor brands of same thing - Gerber makes one.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    It is called a rough naval. My first hatch had one(a lot worse than yours, 3x as big), it died after 3 days [​IMG] . I also didn't do any vitamins or anything because I didn't know. I won't lie, I have heard it can go either way with these chicks and not much else you can do other than the vitamins. Good luck, hope all goes well for your chick [​IMG]

Krista

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Alot of my banties have hatched like that and I haven't lost any after they've finished hatching and been moved to the brooder. It just goes away in a couple days. The runts and really late or early hatchers have it the worst.

10. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks everyone! That is why I love BYC!!! Had I not posted, I would have tried to gently take it off. Soaking it in warm waters or something, so thanks. I will post later and give an update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by