What is this on her beak?

Astetler02

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
She has had this white on her beak for 2-3 days. No change in appitite or behavior. Any idea what it is or how to treat? Tyia :) edit after reading guidelines.

1.5 year old jersey giant. Female. Nothing changed in diet that aware of.

Attachments

• 20200713_131848.jpg
    20200713_131848.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200713_131846.jpg
    20200713_131846.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 17
It could be regurgitation from a crop yeast infection. It would be best to rule that out by checking her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks to see that it's emptied over night as a crop should.

The crop is where the food goes right after a chicken swallows it. It's the bulge slightly to the right side of her chest wall. It swells after a meal, then empties down the digestive tract and the food ends up in the gizzard where the grinding action of that organ, which is full of sharp edged gravel and take the place of teeth, digests the food.

If the crop doesn't empty in a timely manner, due to assorted reasons, the food then ferments and yeast colonizes it, causing the chicken to have a sour smelling liquid and to be sick.

I have one right now that has a yeast infection due to her gizzard being blocked, causing a shutdown of her entire digestive system. Frankly, I am at my wits end.

Back
Top Bottom