1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this on her comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dbounds10, Aug 17, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have a 23 week Barred Rock that I just noticed today has white stuff on her comb. There are no bumps or anything that looks irritated, its just white almost like mold or fungus?
    I tried to rub it off but it did not really want to come off so I left it alone. What is is and what do I do about it?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - BR, 23 wks, no idea on weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. - funky, chalky white stuff on one side of comb
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - just noticed it today when I was taking pictures
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - No others seem to have it
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - None
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - No idea
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - Layena pellets, water with ACV, eating and drinking normally
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - have not seen her poop today but nothing in the run looks off
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - nothing, just saw it
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself if I can
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - Picture below
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - 6x4 coop with sand floor, 12x18 covered run with sand floor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Hm, I think you may be right. If it doesn't come off with water, it might be a fungus of some sort.

The closest thing I could find was a condition called favus. It's a fungal infection of the comb.

I hope your hen gets well soon! Please keep us posted!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it is favus, you can use Lotrimin fungal foot spray which contain miconazole to treat it or any other product that has miconazole in it, preferably an ointment or cream. The foot spray is cold when sprayed onto the comb, your hen wont like it. It's imperative to protect the hens eyes from the spray. It might best to spray it on your fingers then quickly rub it on the affected area.

4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    did she get poo'd on?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:BR's are smarter than that! LOL

6. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Yikes - Ok off to get some fungi cream! No one else shows signs so far but I will put it on everyone and let you know if this wroks!

I wonder if I have to do egg withdrawl for a topical cream?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by