What is this on her feet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kimmyjay, Oct 3, 2013.

1. kimmyjay

kimmyjay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Michigan
    She had some scratches on her feet so I have been soaking and cleaning her feet but I cant seem to figure what this is.
    Its like a wart of some sort. Very fibrous with no smooth patches. All thoughts and ideas are welcome. Thank you
    [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I believe those are the cleanest chicken feet I have ever seen. :)

3. MamaDoodle

MamaDoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    Is she limping, or seem in pain when you touch it?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, it could be a wart. I haven't seen this kind of thing before. Glad you brought it to the forum.

I will poke around and see if I can find some advice.

But in any case, I would start with an Epsom salt compress. It won't do harm - don't let her ingest it, it is a laxative. But applied externally, E.s. helps all kinds of things.

5. Smitchy05

Smitchy05 New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    Chickens get 'bumblefoot', is it possible for ducks to get it as well?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sure, ducks get bumblefoot. But I am thinking that if the feet are being cleaned and soaked, that might not be the case. Also, this is a different looking bumble, seems to me.

Kimmyjay, what are you using to clean and soak with?

The Epsom salts will help with bumblefoot, if that is what it is.

And I just read that iodine works on warts. And from others' experience here on the forum, iodine - especially the clear kind - works on bumbles. So that is what I would do: Epsom salt compresses followed by a drop of iodine, let it dry, check it daily but only reapply the iodine every 5 days or so. At some point, the soaking will likely loosen the scab that should form and will be able to be gently pulled off, and iodine reapplied.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  7. astalwawen

astalwawen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Really looks like Bumblefoot to me. Our ducks are in water all the time, and clean, but they still get it pretty bad.
    Was the duck on wire? I've noticed the wire can cut their feet sometimes.

8. kimmyjay

May 28, 2013
    Michigan
    She has been getting epsom salt soaks and triple ointment/iodine after.
    She doesn't appear to be in any discomfort.
    She sits on my lap lets me manipulate and clean it, and doesn't pitch a fit.
    Her feet are warm but not radiating heat like an infection.
    They have a 2x2 piece of hardware cloth that their water sits on over a hole to catch the tsunami of water they throw but that is the only spot.
    I am currently in process of locating something in plastic to replace the hardware cloth as I am concerned this is the cause of her cuts.
    It is very unique as I can see where the cuts are/were but the black is on one side of them has a many different heights.
    I just don't know what the heck it could be.
    I can pinch it(not being mean) and she acts like she can't feel it.
    Its almost like a flap where I can put my nail under it and pick it up slightly.
    I'm wondering if I should try to remove it like it is a piece of dead calloused skin?
    This has been going on for about 2 1/2 -3 weeks.
    Its thing after another with these ladies [​IMG]but they mean the world to me so thank you guys for helping.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Kimmyjay,

Hope this clears up. It may be a flap of skin, I don't know. I agree getting something other than the wire would be good. Each flock has its own ways, what works for one may not, for the other.

I saw someone use wooden slats for the platform, and you would need to be sure the gaps are small enough that the ducks' toes don't get caught. Plastic sounds like a good idea. Or coated wire if you can find it.

10. kimmyjay

May 28, 2013
    Michigan
    So after a trip to the vet today with another duck he said that this is just a callous or dead skin.
    He said not to worry about soaking her with epsom anymore or applying neosporin.
    As he watched her waddle in his duck friendly room he said that she is walking just fine.

He asked his assistant" did you hear that'? she said "no what" he looked at her and quietly said "Aflac" [​IMG]
    I had a wonderful experience at this office and I'm pleased with how he handled my ducks.
    I would recommend him to anyone in the area.

Thank you all for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by