What is this on my chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dancingmama, May 23, 2010.

1. dancingmama

dancingmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The pix isn't great.... it was hard to get a good one. S/he seems to have circular red patches, one on each side of her face, and perhaps on her back a bit too. She's my one chick that isn't crazy about being held, so it's hard to get a good look, but I'm worried. What could this be? And should I separate her from the others? Thanks...

[​IMG]

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Ring Worm? Don't know since I can't see the pics, but that's the only thing that comes to mind that leaves Red Circular places

3. dancingmama

Jan 17, 2010
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Well, I'm new to chickens so bear with me.... She's my lightest color chick. When I move the fluff around on her back near her rump, it seems like there are bare patches, kind of big, not circular. But now I'm wondering if she's just kind of lightly-feathered/fluffed at this point? Is it normal to be able to see skin?

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    The markings (on the head) are in the right place for the area where they get facial skin when they grow up. A few of our chicks have similar markings to yours. You should be able to see it's ears below and to the rear of the eye. It's much more prominent on white chicks.

This is also the place where siblings like to peck each other (and on the top of the head) to sort out the pecking order in the group, and they start young. It could be your little one is getting bullied a bit. They do appear to tend to pick on one chick mostly.

I don't think there is a problem unless the mark you mentioned on the back is more serious looking.

Watch out for bullying as it's easy for a chick to get bullied away from the feeder or worse to lose an eye wth a mis-targeted peck.

5. dancingmama

Jan 17, 2010
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thank you, oven ready!
    So far, I haven't seen any pecking or bullying. But this white chick is my most nervous and flighty - the only one that doesn't like to be held. I'm wondering if it could be a roo. The others all seem so much calmer. This white one has almost flown out of the 2-foot tall box (to the feeder top anyway!) already, only a couple weeks old at most!
    I'm thinking you are probably right -- just more obvious due to the coloring. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by