What is this on my chickens legs?

EvaRay1525

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Hi! I have been noticing a black or really dark brown sports on my chickens legs. Two of my chickens have this while the other has some bumps that look like blisters. I have also noticed blood in their stool but I don't know which one of my chickens is having that, but the seem to be acting normal eating and drinking. The mottled houdan has been showing signs of sickness, he stands there with his feathers ruffled and makes head movements like he is throwing up.
IMG_3025.jpeg
IMG_3020.jpeg
IMG_3029.jpeg

IMG_3021.jpeg

When I fill there feeder with the scratch grains they all go running and the New Hampshire pecks at their feet but I noticed she sometimes pecks them in their leg so that might be the reason why they are having those black spots.This is the food I feed them - View attachment 2450401
Their droppings-

Pictures of all of them-
View attachment 2450425View attachment 2450426View attachment 2450434
Bloody stool- That was from last night/Cleaning their coop today.
View attachment 2450435

That scratch is not a complete feed. It has only half the MINIMUM requirement of protein.
You absolutely need to change that.
Chickens fed low protein diets end up with very short unhealthy lives. They can even cannibalize each other.

I have noticed that the oldest one (5 months old, New Hampshire) is pecking at the other chickens when they are eating. They free range during the day and at night I put them in their coop. There are 3 roosting bars, the White polish and Molted Houdan are around the same age I am guessing 3 -4 months. The bedding they use is Pine soft bedding. I do not have any rodent issues besides the hawks, no rats, or mice. The food that they eat is mostly from the ground like insects but they do also eat scratch grains, I will also feed them live worms, watermelons, and green foods. I don't know if its because the New Hpshire is the oldest and a female while I believe that the other 2 are males.

Bedding- Pine-Soft bedding.
Can you clarify what you mean by the NH pecking at the others when they are eating? Is the pecking at the legs (cause of injury) or is s/he driving them away from food?

Do you not feed a nutritionally balanced poultry feed like chick starter or an all flock feed?
They may be getting a lot of what they need by free ranging, depending on quality of forage, but it's always best to make poultry feed available free choice.

Scratch is a not a complete feed.

Also waiting on photos of the bloody poops and of the birds themselves. Thanks!

When I fill there feeder with the scratch grains they all go running and the New Hampshire pecks at their feet but I noticed she sometimes pecks them in their leg so that might be the reason why they are having those black spots.This is the food I feed them - View attachment 2450401
Their droppings-

Pictures of all of them-
View attachment 2450435
I would get an all flock/flock raiser feed and provide that free choice.
Use the scratch grains as a treat to scatter and call them in at night or when you need to put them up.

Depending on the size of your feeder, you may need to add another one if the NH is keeping them away from the food. Food aggression could be part of your problem if they are not getting the right diet.

See if by providing a balanced diet for them resolves most of your problems. Keep watch on those sore areas of the legs to make sure they are healing o.k. If you feel those sores need to be addressed, I would either apply Pine Tar or Blu Kote to those places.

The poop does look like intestinal shedding, but if it's consistent, getting a fecal float is a good idea, if not possible then consider deworming and treating for Coccidiosis since the birds seem to be lacking in nutrition.

I have also noticed blood in their stool
The mottled houdan has been showing signs of sickness, he stands there with his feathers ruffled and makes head movements like he is throwing up.
How are they housed? Can you get photos?
Photos of the poop with blood too please.

What do you feed?

I agree, the Houdan sound like it's having crop issues.

As for the legs, I'm not sure if I've seen anything quite like that. Do they have plenty of roosting space? Have you noticed if they pick at each other's legs or feet? Any rodent problems?

Their droppings-

Pictures of all of them-
View attachment 2450435
X2 on the scratch grains. Just to enforce the seriousness of the situation, it is downright dangerous to feed them only scratch grains. That's the equivalent of a human living strictly off of ramen noodles. No nutrition. No protein. No vitamins or minerals. No fiber. Just carbs.

At a minimum, you can feed them a layer feed. Seriously you can get 50 pounds of the Dumor layer feed from Tractor Supply for like $11. They few extra dollars compared to scratch grain is meaningless if your flock is so unhealthy they are dying or not laying. If you want to go the extra mile, you can get them a grower feed with 18% protein or even better, an all flock feed at 18-20% protein. You should always provide some oyster shells in a separate feeder for the birds to eat as needed, especially if you choose to get grower feed or all flock feed, because they don't offer very much calcium.

As for the blood in the poop, you may as well get some Corrid while you are getting your feed and start treating for coccidiosis. They could have blood in poop due to poor diet, but poor diet can also make them more susceptible to coccidiosis. Treating them if they aren't sick with coccidiosis will not cause them any harm, but not treating them when they are sick will surely kill most or all of your birds.

You need to buy new feed and Corrid immediately.

I have noticed that the oldest one (5 months old, New Hampshire) is pecking at the other chickens when they are eating. They free range during the day and at night I put them in their coop. There are 3 roosting bars, the White polish and Molted Houdan are around the same age I am guessing 3 -4 months. The bedding they use is Pine soft bedding. I do not have any rodent issues besides the hawks, no rats, or mice. The food that they eat is mostly from the ground like insects but they do also eat scratch grains, I will also feed them live worms, watermelons, and green foods. I don't know if its because the New Hpshire is the oldest and a female while I believe that the other 2 are males.

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 9.48.14 AM.png
Bedding- Pine-Soft bedding.

Back
Top Bottom