What is this on my Pekin?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmAbTo48, Oct 3, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Shes in the far back.. the black stuff around her nares? and on her bill?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shes the one on the the right half in the shot...

Sorry this camera sucks! I can get better ones tomorrow. I have seen this on other ducks on BYC, but when I got her she had a little and now seems to be worse. Is it some type of fungus? Is there something I can do to get rid of it They have a large pond, they were right near it in these pictures, sure are hard to take pictures of [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I am curious as well....I have some ducks with the same thing although it looks more greenish....Does yours look like this? (the Ancona in the back)?
    [​IMG]

3. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

It isn't just dirt, for the OP. I noticed mine had that when I didn't give them a fresh bath for a day or two. But once I did it went away, I just assumed it was dried dirt.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Mine isn't just dried dirt. It never goes away and they get fresh water daily to bathe in...I don't know about the OP's....

5. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:Mine isn't just dried dirt. It never goes away and they get fresh water daily to bathe in...I don't know about the OP's....

No its not dirt. They free range and have a large pond they are in all the time.

Mines not greenish its like black little spots all over her bills....i am thinking of holding her down and seeing if I can wipe the stuff off!

6. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    You might want to give her a bucket full of clean water and keep her out of the pond for a day or so, to see if it will go away with clean water.

7. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:I have actually, thinking its coming from the pond, but then none of the other ducks are getting it and quartining her didn't change a thing!

I was hoping I would find information on here since besides holding her down and trying to wipe I have done everything!

8. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Plus they have fresh buckets of water, for drinking, that are cleaned twice a day....which they use a lot actually!

9. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I've noticed freckling and darker markings on older ducks as a matter of course. I'd guess it's perfectly natural marking showing up as your ducks get older. [​IMG]

~ Carol

10. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I have actually, thinking its coming from the pond, but then none of the other ducks are getting it and quartining her didn't change a thing!

I was hoping I would find information on here since besides holding her down and trying to wipe I have done everything!

Well good luck! I'm not sure what it could be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by